That is why the program will focuss on aviation and more importantly on the aspects of flying, which will be done as frequently as the funds allow this will be at least once every two weeks. And who says that these restrictions cannot be taken out. And as I have been involved with the Sea Scouts it never seemed to me like all we did was boating, in fact this was done only during the summer and barely once every month. And since Sea Scouts seemes to be working so will this. And why does it have to be so restricted now?

Herber? LOL

I don't want to dampen your spirits or stifle your efforts. I love aviation. I love Scouting. Nothing would please me more than to see Air Scouting take off once again (pun intended).

But it ain't simple and as you noted, it isn't cheap.

From the Guide to Safe Scouting-

"Aircraft

Air travel is permitted as follows:

1. On any flight scheduled by a commercial airline.

2. The BSA Flight Permit, No. 19-672 (see sample in appendix), is required for all BSA flying activities except for commercial flights. The local council reviews and approves the flight permit just as it would a tour permit. The Parent/Guardian Consent Form, No. 19-673 (see sample in appendix), is also required. Units should attach the signed consent forms to the BSA Flying Permit Application and keep a copy of the signed consent forms in their files.

3. Flying in hang gliders, ultralights, experimental class aircraft, and hot-air balloons (whether or not they are tethered); parachuting, and flying in aircraft as part of a search and rescue mission are unauthorized activities.

4. Airplane travelers are cautioned about what they pack in their luggage. In flight, variations in temperature and air pressure can cause some hazardous materials to leak or ignite. Included in the category of hazardous materials that should not be packed in luggage are matches or lighters; flammable liquids and gases; signal flares and other explosives; bleaches, aerosols, mercury, and solvents containing dangerous chemicals that can cause toxic fumes and corrosion."

The BSA's Flying Permit Application in the appendix makes it clear (to me) that only "orientation flights" are permitted. The restrictions are a little more lax for Venturers, but the paperwork alone for taking a flight every couple of weeks would be something.

A high quality ground school type program, maybe with maintenance and line duties (washing and fueling planes, sweeping out hangers, manning the radio to report field conditions at uncontrolled airports, etc...) and occassional/frequent flying would be wonderful. But without the flights, I think it would quickly wither.

Whether National or funding restricted the flying activities, it's the same. A key component to a successful program is doing it, not just talking about it, planning it or learning about it.