Traditional Venturing

Bob according to the BSA Prior ro 1998 and the creation of Venturing and the transfer of Career and Vocational Exploring to Learning for Life. Exploring BSA was considered to be in traditional scouting, from 1998 -present Venturing is in traditional scouting, and Exploring is in Learning for Life. Traditional I believe in the sense of the word means that Exploring BSA pre-98 went by the Explorer Code and followed the BSA membership standards at that time.

Now Venturing BSA follows the Venturing Code and Oath and goes by the BSA membership standards for the present. Exploring is under Learning for Life and goes by LFL standards and the Exploring Motto.

You have now used two different terms which do you mean "traditional Exploring" as in your post http://www.scouter.com/forums/postings.asp?action=ReplyForm&threadID=58278&forumID=21#id_58448

of this thread, or "Tradional Scouting" as in your most recent post in this thread?

They are not interchangeable and yet you have used them as such.

You said traditional explorering existed prior ro 1998 and was replaced by traditional Venturing. When in fact what happened was that Exploring was moved from traditional scouting to Learning for Life and Venturing was introduced into traditional scouting.

Traditional scouting by the way Dana is everything OUTSIDE of Learning for Life.

Have you ever considered forgetting about the past, and all the gimmicks you are trying to come up with, and just deliver a perfectly good program for which there are ample current resources and training available.

Before you try to recreate the wheel, how about just learning to use the wheel you have.

Bob what I mean to say is this prior to 1998 Exploring was considered a part of traditional scouting. From 1998-present LFL/Exploring is a part of the Learning for Life Program and is not subject to BSA membership rules. From 1998 - present Venturing is a part of the traditional BSA program and is subject to BSA membership rules, Venturing has the traditional Outdoors, Arts and Hobbies, Religious Life, Sea Scouts, Sports clusters in it, Prior to 1998 these were a part of Exploring BSA, but in 1998 they were put in Venturing. LFL/Exploring on the other hand took the other clusters that were the vocational side of the pre-98 program and Career Awareness Exploring and included them in the Exploring worksite programs. Now is this right? Oh by the way I do go by the program that exists today, And I have a great deal of fun with my position in scouting, I am just a history buff and find that the history of Exploring and Sea Scouts and etc is interesting, And I have noticed that there is a lot of the old in with the new.

Prior to 1998 these were a part of Exploring BSA

Not that I can find evidence of. There were Sea Scouts, Air Scouts for a short time, Career Exploring which included all the emergency service posts as well, and a High Adventure posts.

I think its great that you are a history buff, which past Exploring handbook did you find things like Religious Life, Arts and Hobbies and Sport Clusters in Exploring. I have some of the handbooks going back to the early 40s and I don't recall those programs.

I really think you might have some confusion as to what the history really was. You certainly have me confused.

First of all there were no clusters, or specialties, in 1940 programs, specialty Exploring originated with William Spurgeon and it was on his advice that BSA started with Specialty Exploring in the 1950's and 1960's and this was in Orange County California and I believe it was a Science Post and according to a document I have entitled "Specialty Exploring An Orange County Invention this was in 1956 by 1957 he organized Post 201 in Newport Beach California

A Science Post sponsored by Helipot Division of Beckman Industries later Hughes Aircraft. This experiment was a success, and nine of the members of this post went on to earn doctorates in science. Spurgeon was a member of National Exploring Committee. On January 1

1959 Specialty Exploring became the official national program. According to this in which I am writing about seems to have effected the Exploring Program for many years to come. It also effected what we call the more traditional program style posts as well Sea Exploring,High Adventure, Athletics (Sports)and Air Exploring was also effected. Again this does not go back to the 1940's but in the 1950's I noticed in the Air Explorer Manual from 1953 that Vocational is a part of that program as well. Maybe something that Spurgeon saw that he thought needed to be in addition to High Adventure, Sports, Sea Exploring Parts of Exploring. And this is in both Venturing and LFL/Exploring even to this day.

Dana, you first used the term cluster and then said that clusters didn't exist. The Vocation referred to in Exploring is what became Career Exploring, not Religious Life Venturing. You are using the wrong definition of vocation.

High adventure is part of Learning for Life? Sea Scouts is part of Learning for Life? Religious Sports? Life is part of Learning for Life? LFL was started in order to be able to remove religion. Maybe some examples would help me here. Where are you finding this information?

Bob Now in the 1940's and 1950's, 1960's in Exploring clusters did not exist, please understand, in the late 1950's specialty posts the first one was created in California and it was a Science Post and William Spurgeon a businessman on was on the National Exploring Committee was instrumental in advocating the creation of these posts and in 1959 Specialty Exploring officially became part of the National Exploring Program of the BSA. Did clusters come on the scene in the 1980's because Exploring had grown and career interest Exploring was thought to be more of what Exploring was, and Outdoor

Interest Exploring took a back seat then? Or Outdoor Exploring was still more popular and the public got a misconception of what Exploring was all about. But the cluster and specialty idea is still with us in Venturing even after 1998 just we only have 5 clusters and these specialty crews are in a cluster that is similar to their interests a larger group so to say.

Learning For Life /Exploring does not have high adventure posts , these are the province of the Outdoor Venturing Cluster there is a High Adventure specialty for crews that specialize in that kind of activity, Learning for Life has Career Interest Explorer posts, Religious Life Crews are a part of the Relgious Life Cluster for Venturing and are not a part of the Learning for Life/Exploring program. Bob if you can get a hold of what a career interst survey for Exploring administered by Learning for Life to public schools, you will see all the clusters and specialties used by Exploring and on the bottom of that same form you will see hobby and avocational interests that can be used by Venturing. A copy of this form is available from Learning For Life Executive in your council. Or it is also in the "Here's Venturing, A Guide to Implementing Venturing in a

District and Council "published 2000 BSA , 2001 printing on pages 6,7 in the Membership section. Hobby and Recreational interest is what Venturing BSA uses on that same form. Exploring posts then use that survey for contacting students to invite them to their meetings and Ventuirng crews do the same.