Air Scouting discussion

Sergei

In the past 2 years I have planned out a way that the Air Scouts can exist as part of the BSA and now will impart my ideas to you. The question of us finding enough Air Scouts pamphlets to guide us through this can easily be answered; I myself have searched over the internet for old Air Scout pamphlets and have found four of them. These can be used to reintroduce the old ratings and awards of 1954 and the old uniforms of 1953. I have also asked over 15 crews in my district if they would want to join this program once it got started, many of them said yes. Including some of the trained adults who have served in the air force or have the proper training to serve as squad leaders.

The leadership will be as follows squad leaders, squad secretaries, squad equipment distributors and squad publicity agents from each district will meet once a month to discuss events and problems. They themselves will choose 10 representatives from each district to attend the council meetings. And those who are chosen to attend council meetings which will be held once every 3 months will choose 3 people from every group of 10 council representatives to attend the National meetings. They will hold meetings every 3 months and remain in contact throughout the year through e-mail. All of these meetings will be supervised by 5 adults over the age of 21. However, the number of adults will increase by 10 when the National meetings are held. This program will bring back the old Air Scout uniforms ratings, and the famous ace medal, although the symbol will be changed to suite the 21 century. Also the uniform will hold a few more additions, such as blue berays, and collar pins. This program will need to be given its own branch and finally be rid of the CAP program since if it continues this way the old traditions and the Exploring oath will be lost to time. We would also need to work with the Air Force to provide us with proper training and even old airplanes, which does not seem to be very much to ask, since the Navy and coast guard provide the Sea Scouts with their own boats. While the BSA would have to bring back the aerodynamics, aeronautics, airplane design, and airplane structure merit badges. The Air Scouts have to be brought back and through these acts we will be able to do this.

SZelenskei I have read your post concerning the restoration of the Air Scout Program I like it and I believe it can be done, there are however some obtstacles that have to be addressed before you can go ahead and do this #1.Aviation Exploring in Learning For Life a BSA Subsidiary there may be some resistance there. 2. Civil Air Patrol a USAF auxiliary and a chartering partner with BSA and LFL sometimes CAP Cadet squadrons are chartered as Aviation Explorer Posts, and sometimes they are chartered as Venturing crews. But I do know what you mean, If you have the crews that are interested in trying this then by all means try it. If the crews that you mention are interested in doing this then the members of the crews will have to vote this program in. Then is the issue of uniforming can you find the old 1953 style of uniforms, also if you were to use the USAF style of uniform BSA regulations and Federal law prohibits Scouts or Venturers from being mistaken for US Military Personnel, simply this means that you have to change military buttons for civilian and not use any military insignia, However your crew or crews could design their own insignia, and patches for uniform wear. If you have any embrodiery companies in your area you could design or restore the Air Scout ratings patches and unit patches and numbers. The USAF might help with old aircraft, understand this would not be combat aircraft but aircraft similar to what the CAP use in search and rescue. Air Scouts could also do orientation flights, but BSA forms have to be filed. BSA no longer insures flight instruction as far as in the airplane and off the ground.Check Guide to Safe Scouting for

information concerning Scouts and Venturers involved with aviation programs, Many things have changed since the early 1950's. Also would your program be co-ed? And would it fit under the Venturing Division BSA. Would Air Scouts be a cluster of Venturing similar to what Sea Scouts are today? Please understand I am not trying to discourage anyone from doing this> A program like this needs to be brought back by BSA. Would you also give your Air Scouts an option to earn the Venturing awards as well? Please respond to this with more ideas, it does sound interesting.

There is a big problem that has to be faced.

Liability.

You can have all the uniform, recognition and literature developed you want, but the thing that will stop you (and did stop it originally) are the restrictions on the ability to go DO IT!

Exploring worked and Venturing works because you could actually go hiking, camping, backpacking, canoeing, rappeling, and everything else outdoors (or whatever).

Likewise, Sea Scouting works because you can actually go sailing or motorboating.

Having proven successful on the land and sea, why doesn't the program have an air component?

Air Scouting failed mainly because after everything was said and done, it was no longer about going flying. It became little more than ground school and ramp duty. Earlier, when flying was less restricted, it was fun and adventure for the boys. Once that changed, it quickly eroded.

While not a Ventuering Crew, back home in London we had an Air Scout Group/ Troop in our District. There was at that time a uniform for Air Scouts and I have to admit it was a cool looking troop.

I have no idea who they came into being, but would think that someone thought it was a good idea at the time. Sad to say that someone was no longer around and we ended up with a troop that looked really cool and the only time that they spend in the air was when they sat on the top deck of a double decker bus.

Here in our local area I have been in contact with the local CAP. At one point they were looking into the Venturing program. I attended a couple of meetings and they were a well turned out smart looking bunch. When I asked about them getting off the ground they said that they did have contact with the air National Guard and did get to go on a plane once or twice a year.Most of their training had to do with search and rescue, looking for planes that might crash. When I asked how many times they had gone looking for a crashed plane they said never.

While you seem to have put a lot of thought into what you would like to see happen, you seem to have forgotten about the expenses. While the Navy or Air Force might be willing to donate planes the storage and maintenance of these would cost big bucks. Where would the money come from?

Eamonn

I am not knowledgable of the older program, but am more familiar with the demise of aviation instruction and flying as part of the program as I was the national chairman at the time.

We were able to have flight instruction as part of the program until to many explorers were having aircraft accidents. As such the liability went through the roof. As such it was changed so all that was allowed were orientation rides. Many posts continued to do ground school and then would have round robin orientation flights, but no instruction. The rules can be found on the current Aviation Flying permit that is in the back of the GSS.

Don't know if this helps or just muddies the water.

Overtrained

I was in a Aviation Explorer Posts, back in the 70s. We owned are own airplane and flew it. Did a little searching on the web, and it looks like we could not do that today. We use to charter a plane and fly to campouts, looks like they could not do that either.

Out of the 12 members only one got his pilot license. It was not me :(

Overtrained

Do you know about when the rules where put in that stopped the actual flying?