Profiles, Why not use them?

I have enjoyed reading "Posts" to different topics and "Clicking" on the PROFILE tab and reading where they are from and what positions/experience they have. This has led to contacts with people from different states/countries and different backgrounds/beliefs, which has been very rewarding to me. I wonder why there is some who leave their profiles "Blank"? There cannot be to much of an "Identity/Privacy" issue, can there?

i dunno - i use them, and have mine filled out - no problem.

I DID run into a problem a couple of months ago where I could get to the 'index' of this board - but could not see any of the posts under each board -

i found out, by accident, that a regular 'update' download to my virus scanner Doesn't like something on this site. so when i come here now, i have to disable my virus scanner while here to read and post here. since I'm not truly worried about content 7 virus' on THIS site (LOL!) i just turn it back on when I leave...

perhaps somthing like that is interfering with some being able to get thru the profile setup without error messages?

what kind of error messages are you getting?

i do find the profiles useful - esp when it's helpful to know WHERE in the country people are located - in case someone is looking to do a trip out there. Local information is always better than all the research and brochures you can collect!

it just helps, too - to have a kind of idea of the person's background. sometimes from many posts, you get to know someone and can tell if they are joking or not - or what their knowledge base is - sometimes, not. It just helps to make our new friends here more 3-dimensional.

Try as I might, I can't edit my profile or do anything at all to or with it as every time I take the chance and enter that realm of cyberspace, I enter a continous loop of pages showing me my username and asking for my password. The very next page verifies that both were correct, sooooo....what do I want to do? When I choose an option, I get back into the page showing me my username and asking for my pass.....

...ad infinitum....so I give up.......

i dunno - i use them, and have mine filled out - no problem.

I DID run into a problem a couple of months ago where I could get to the 'index' of this board - but could not see any of the posts under each board -

i found out, by accident, that a regular 'update' download to my virus scanner Doesn't like something on this site. so when i come here now, i have to disable my virus scanner while here to read and post here. since I'm not truly worried about content 7 virus' on THIS site (LOL!) i just turn it back on when I leave...

perhaps somthing like that is interfering with some being able to get thru the profile setup without error messages?

what kind of error messages are you getting?

i do find the profiles useful - esp when it's helpful to know WHERE in the country people are located - in case someone is looking to do a trip out there. Local information is always better than all the research and brochures you can collect!

it just helps, too - to have a kind of idea of the person's background. sometimes from many posts, you get to know someone and can tell if they are joking or not - or what their knowledge base is - sometimes, not. It just helps to make our new friends here more 3-dimensional.

Y'know - after i posted i went and looked at my 'profile' - and it was GONE!

i also re-posted, and kept getting an endless looping - for some reason, it kept adding another ''''' every time it 'looped'

One thing that stopped it (at least, after two ''s) was to put the curser back in the last field before i clicked 'Accept' - if I left it in the comments field, or any other field, I had problems. When I got back to the starting page -(the 'looped page') instead of clicking 'next' or whatever - i just made another choice off the list.

try that and see if it helps

Profiles are for us poor souls who do not have the talent, knowlage, resources or ability to have our own web site.

Besides it is much easier to just click on the persons ID and look at their profile.

Also I do not think most members of these Forums have Web pages, where as all have a Profile (some just do not use it.)

I tried, too, maybe it is my virus checker. I don't use an ad-blocker, so I know that's not the cause of not being able to fill it out. The thing would let me type the info, then it would blank it out and give me the same page. hmmm, must be me. I'll try later.

Nice web page Hops!

Sharon

Sharon,

If you look through my whole website, you will see that it is not the only one I do. Currently, I run 5 sites including that one. I try to work on it on a daily basis whenever possible. I have four sites dedicated to Scouts.

http://www.highadventure.cjb.net

http://www.troop323.cjb.net

http://www.pack301.cjb.net

http://www.neighborhood211.cjb.net

Here is why:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e57'

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]

String or binary data would be truncated. 

/members/modify/public_profile.asp, line 94