Why not?

Go ahead and use it if you want too.

Not wanting to sound like a complete pompous pain in the neck. (PPITN)

Why if you are into Venturing do you keep bringing up stuff about PTANT. (Programs That Are Not There)

History is fine. We do however have a program that will work if we let it. There may be those who think that bringing back the Lion Den is a very good idea. I have spoken with those who loved Scouting when it entailed loading the Trek Cart with the Bell Tents and pushing the cart to camp. These days are gone, just like the Explorer program as it once was.

Eamonn

well here is the old pain again. and why do I bring up old programs that have fell by the way side, because what is old is new again. Look at the entire Venturing program the awards that are around date back to the 1950's look it up read the history of Venturing even as new as this program is look up what is new in Venturing there is even talk of restoring the Exploring Olympics of the 1970's and just calling them the Venturing Olympics, there is a new medal that is called Quest and it is a sports cluster medal there is a book that

is for that medal and that program. There is a Ranger Handbook these

2 books kind of remind me of the cluster program guides that were published at one time. Everything that I proposed is still in the program CAW Compass, Anchor Wings still goes today because there are

Venturing crews that do aviation, maybe not to the extent that Exploring does in LFL, but they do. What I am endeavoring to do is to restore the spirit of this thing. Venturing Code is the old Explorer code reworded for Venturing. Venturing is sometimes referred to as Exploring renamed.We have the spruce green shirt, do the high adventure program. Everything is just contemporized and by the way these programs may not have the same old name , but they are still the same old thing. I don't know in other parts of the US but I hear from council people here that scouting in all 3 of it's branches is having trouble getting people. Scouts are dropping the program why. Maybe by so much of change they dropped the fun, eh, or maybe dropped the spirit, by many of the OA discussions we see that the youth do not really want the change that may eventually come to OA. The new program is doing real good eh. Oh by the way CAW must not be too old, Some people still know it, ask some youth they want to remain traditional still. Venturers like the old Exploring program that is why they are in Venturing. That is why Outdoor Adventure crews are the most popular in the program 85% of all crews are Outdoor Adventure. then 14% of all other Venturing is Sea Scouting, look at Sea Scouts there is something pretty traditional even with co-ed membership in many ships. Check it out . Have a Great Day

Dana, do you hit submit twice? I've noticed that everyone of your post is shown twice.

Eamonn, you sound a bit too much like Bob White. There is much in the old programs that were much better than we have today. The handbooks were unarguably better. Self reliance was stressed more. Advancement took some effort.

The Fun and the spirit of any program is in the way it is delivered at the unit level.

It won't do any good talking to the youth in Venturing today about the old Exploring program they have no idea what it was and don't care. They want to see the program that they are in work. It doesn't matter if it is brand spanking new or some of the old stuff recycled, to them it is Venturing. Our role as adults is to help them make the program work. We will do that best if we use the materials that are available for them to use today.

Eamonn

I only hit submit once, and I referred this to Scouter Network and did not get a response. to answer Eaamon I do not mention much of the old Exploring program to youth, Many of the Venturers know about it anyway. Many of these programs are still going they may just use a new name or new terminology. Some of the old programs are just a part of history. I was just referring to what I notice about some Venturers is that they have a lack of spirit. Maybe they are not having fun in the program but I don't believe it is because of Venturing Adult Leaders talking about the old Explorer program I think it is because of a boring crew program which deals with the current elected youth leadership in the crew.

dana, bring back CAW if you like but again what do expect it to do. Change a boring crew program? How Dana? They are just words. A catch phrase. It takes action and leadership to change a program.

You seem to be fishing for a magic word that will fix a problem. Not all crews have boring programs Dana. They all use the same guide book. The difference is in the people who lead them and their ability to coach and memntor the youth members into action.

There are no quick fixes to a unit in trouble other than using the tools you have been given.

Stop looking for a remedy outside of the Venturing program and follow the program that has been given you and you will have your best chance of success.

I have just returned from visiting the Crew that OJ, belongs to. 11 Members camping for the weekend. I asked what they thought about Exploring? The answer was blank looks and "What?"

They have no idea about Exploring and don't care. They were too busy building a bridge. The design for the bridge came out of an old English book on Scouting. They are happy to use the book to help them with the bridge but don't have any desire to be part of the pre 1969 English Boy Scouts. What they are doing is what they see as a Crew 160 Bridge Building activity. I have no idea why they wanted to build a bridge,I think it was just something that came up and they did it. As far as I know it isn't for any sort of requirement. To them it's just fun. We old people can see or read a lot of other stuff into it. We might see that they are working on team building and team leadership. We might see see all sorts of leadership skills. But the 11 Lads I saw were just busy having fun.

Eamonn

Bob and Eamonn

You are right fun is the main ingredient in Venturing if a crew has a fun program then that's all that matters. Also many words acronyms are just the title or program they call something. But let me say this Eamonn you were saying about a Venturing crew building a

bridge that came out of a 1969 English scout book, doesn't that prove one thing something old can be used again. No matter what we call it. The crew that I work with is going to do scuba this year at Sea Base they have done it before, they enjoy it, also after that they are doing a beach trip they have done that before and everyone enjoys it. Crews are going to Northern Tier this year and they have done this for years whether they were crews, ships, posts, teams, or troops. This is fun it was not some new extravagant program it is just simply either, scuba, beach trip, or canoeing these all are a part of the high adventure programs that scouting no matter what you call it, But if you care to research about programming in Venturing , Exploring, Sea Scouting or whatever, you will see not much has changed as far as activity. Bob I am not looking for a magic word or for a magic formula, this is up to people at National to look for those things, The reason again that I bring up old terms and titles of programs and seem to defend those classic things is because they seem to have a part of the soul and spirit of scouting , now I do realize that they had their problems as anything has or had. But when they were prevelant they made scouting challenging and not as politically correct I believe that is what the problem is today with a lot of what scouting has to do, is it correct will it appease a certain group, well that hurts scouting to a point because everytime something changes then it looses a part of itself. When a young man or woman joins a crew,ship or post then they should be willing to be in that program and contribute to the unit's program as long as it is done according to the guidelines set by BSA and LFL. And if you gentlemen will look around you will see old brought in with the new.