Questions concerning Venturers in OA

The official stance on this is that an OA sash is only to be worn at OA activities. Yes, its a cool looking item and looks impressive et al but the rules say not to wear it unless its an OA activity.

See, just because a whole bunch of people do something and it becomes accepted practice does not make it right and the rules wrong, it just means a whole bunch of people dont follow the rules. Now, I could make a correlation to another hot topic on the forum right now, but I will leave that up to the reader.

I see. Heres another question.

I have also seen not only the sash worn but also the lodge flap worn on the Venturing Uniform. Is that also a no no? How about the red and white small ribbon with the arrow on the bottom of it, that is worn on the breast pocket button. Can that be worn with the Venturing Uniform?

So basically as a Venturer you cannot show any OA insignia on your Uniform unless at an OA event. Correct?

"See, just because a whole bunch of people do something and it becomes accepted practice does not make it right and the rules wrong, it just means a whole bunch of people dont follow the rules"

Very true OGE. I'd like to know what is right and wrong so I can set a good example.

NO NO NO

EVERYONE GO LOOK IT UP AGAIN

Pleas see pages 57 through 60 in the Order of the Arrow Handbook, 2002 edition.

"Only currently registered members of the Boy Scouts of America and the Order may wear the insignia of the Order of the Arrow."

"The sash is worn at Order of the Arrow functions and special Scouting activities, when members need to be indentified as Arrowmen rendering special services."

"The Order of the Arrow sash is worn with the official Scout field uniform or Scouting's official adult dress wear (a blue blazer and gray slacks). The sash also may be worn by Elangomats who are not in uniform at an Ordeal, youth wearing ceremonial attire, and in such other instances as approved by the Scout executive."

To put this another way, you can wear the sash under two different scenarios:

1- you are attending an OA event

2- you are representing the OA

To provide an example that may be of some use to you, I attended an Eagle Court of Honor this Sunday. The Eagle being recongnized is the current Section Chief. He is a conference vice-chief for the upcoming 2004 National Order of the Arrow Conference. He is also a past lodge chief. (He was also my vice-chief while I was lodge chief.) He did not wear his Vigil Honor sash.

His older brother, who is also a former lodge chief, and the immediate past section chief, did not wear his Vigil Honor sash.

In fact, of the perhaps two dozen active Arrowmen, including perhaps a dozen Vigil Honor members and several Founder's Award recipients (also many current and past lodge and chapter officers, advisers, and chairmen) only one was wearing an OA sash.

The Lodge Adviser had been asked to speak about the Eagle's involvement in the OA, his contributions to the chapter, lodge, and Order at large, and the OA's possible influence on him. He was essentially speaking for the lodge. He wore his Vigil Honor sash for the ceremony, and rightly so in my opinion.

You may wear the Lodge flap with the official Scout uniform. This applies to all of the various "field" type uniforms.

You may also wear the Univeral Arrow Ribon with the official uniform at the times of your choosing.

Additional information can be found in the Uniform and Insignia Guide.

Proud Eagle-"You may wear the Lodge flap with the official Scout uniform. This applies to all of the various "field" type uniforms.

You may also wear the Univeral Arrow Ribon with the official uniform at the times of your choosing."

Let me just make sure I understand, So your saying than, that this is true for Venturers?

Just so I understand, Proud Eagle, I guess those who explained the rules to me took a more conservative approach that your interpretation. We can agree its appropriate that the sash be worn at OA activities. Now, at a Troop Court of Honor, I would say no sash, but if the scout is representing the OA, then its ok. I can see that as a huge loop hole. All members of the OA in theory represent the OA at all times, so shouldnt they wear the sash at all times? At all scouting functions?

I thought I had it down but now I am not so sure

I would say if he is there in a capacity as representative of the OA. It might be the Lodge or Chapter Chief at an Eagle Cof H , or on the election team at a troop meeting, (it might be permissible to wear your sash at OA election night at your troop meeting). I guess the rule of thumb might be am I at this function primarily because I am representing the OA.

It's not quite right but when I was a scoutmaster I had any new ordeal member wear his sash to the next troop to show it off.

Ventures may wear OA insignia because they are members of the BSA.