creation of a venturing commissioner program

Let's create a seperate Venturing Commissioner Program, and let this commissioner program deal only with ships and crews, reason for this is the Venturing program because of it's co-educational nature encounters problems that other parts of scouting may not encounter. Also because of it's own diversity of programs and the uniqueness of Venturing in the 5 clusters and many specialties the commissioners could diversify their outreach. Now crews and ships would still retain their own programmming and youth leadership. The commissioners could work in areas special to Venturing and still be able to help their units succeed, and be able to focus on their units and that be all .

But troop programs create a completely different set of problems than packs, and you don't suggest a different commissioner corps for them. What is the difference? How does having a coed program change the mission of commissioning? What do you se as the mission of commissioning? Since Venturing has the same mission as Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts, why not the same district support as the rest of the traditional program?

As a District Commissioner I assign Unit Commissioners to the various units based on their experience and interests. It makes no sense for someone having a commissioner with only Cubing background to be assigned to a Crew. Therefore a fully staffed District should be able to serve all type of units. The Key phrase is fully staffed, finding volunteers to step up and become commissioners is harder that it may seem. The lack of unit service comes from not having enough commissioners. National wants a one commissioner to three units, I have enough commissioners to make that ratio but I have commissioners with only one or two units because they just havent the time to do more. We have to remember that they are volunteers.

There is no need to have a separate Commissioner program for Venturing. Most commissioners have a background in their program(s). I am a Unit Commissioner, specializing in Venturing, however I don't need to be secluded as a Venturing Commissioner. By having commissioners who understand the program, we can effectively prevent and/or treat the problems in Crews/Ships.The same goes for Sea Scouting as well. Let's not reinvent the wheel...

-Dale

what I am suggesting is something that is similar to the old Exploring Service Team concept and where there are enough crews and ships in the council or district to substantiate this kind of an organization. I've noticed in past programs there were district exploring commissioners, why can't there be district venturing commissioners working with Venturing units but under the DC maybe someone could be A DVC with the ADC training and supplement it going through the Venturing adult leader training. going through the same training as any other commissioner would. Specializing more in Sea Scouts and Venturing. And these commissioners could specialize in the Venturing areas more and know more about these things and be a positive resource for their crews and ships.