We've just started a Venturing Crew: Do these things we're doing follow BSA regulation?

SPL 15, you are one wild and whacky guy, thats for sure. As far as the First Aid question, as I understand it, some of what you do for the first aid merit badge will count towards the Core First Aid Ranger Requirment but earning the First Aid merit badge will not satisfy the Venture Core Requirements.

Next, hard as it will be, I promise I will keep Outdoor Thinker out of Louisiana so you don't have anything to fear.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the charter organization made the decision whether or not a crew would be coed, not the members. Given that coed imposes a significant set of additional responsibilities upon the charter organization, I surprised that it would (apparently) leave that decision up to the crew members.

Our chartered organization doesn't carre what we do as long as we dont make the church look bad, help them out, and dont kill anyone or be killed. They think we can handle everyting out without them.

Also, I've armed the Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Venturers, Girl Scouts, 4-H Club, Beta Club, and FFA with Boy Scout knifes and axes so if if anyone does try to kill me we will cut em, gut em, and deep fry em with some crawfish. And I'll be killing three birds with one stone. See, they will learn to stich up a body for first-aid, and will properly learn to use the axe by cutting off a head, and I wont get killed!

I love with when people look up to me! :)

SPL_15, although I am disappointed, I have no intent to travel to Lousiana and hurt you. I'd enjoy a trip, but I am not into violence.

FOG, I dont have to cry to win arguements, enough said. From what I understand there's no crying in Boy Scouts anyway.

OGE, I guess the cats out of the bag. It's true, well, all of it except the 8 merit badges I am registered to counsel...the count is 9. But, who other than me and our Scoutmaster is really counting?

"FOG, I dont have to cry to win arguements"

That's what all women say, right before their lip starts to quiver and the tears begin to well up.

"From what I understand there's no crying in Boy Scouts anyway."

I don't know about that. We encourage our Scouts to cry during reflections if they want to do so. We tell them that they need to get in touch with their emotions. We also tell them that if they feel the need to dance around the campfire in lace underwear, do so but make sure the adults have left because if the adults are arund that would violate the Youth Protection Guidelines.

• 2 weeks later...

You guys have this old Scouter crying tears of laughter with these posts! Actually, I have now understood why in its infinite wisdom the BSA has designed to confuse us all with the difference between a Venturing Crew and a Venture Patrol. Since the boys have decided not to let the girls in (and save themselves many expensive lawsuits for harrasment) they can just consider themselves in a Venture Patrol and keep wearing the same old uniform and doing the same old Boy Scout stuff, including the knives and threats of killing each other, with no problems of answering to the higher purposes the girls would bring with them. Really, just forget about a Crew, they are not even having separate meetings! It is just a poorly organized Venture Patrol at best.

We are a Venturing Patrol, but here are the things: two of our 4 are are already 18, and we all want to get the Range Award, and we are doing this so we can continue after Boy scouts to earn awards, and another is that the so called Assistant Scoutmaster is always nagging and his wife is always nagging, so if we are a Venturing Crew, he can nag, but we wont be under him! Our Venturing Male Advisor will be our Scoutmaster, a 76 yrs. Navy Veteran, Silver Beaver Award, and former District Executive, and our Female Advisorwill be a new lady, but very good, she has been in the Army for 8 yrs., and knows more stuff than the Assistant Scoutmaster. And I just want to know, do Vebturing Crews ave a Committee?

Does it have to be the same as the Boy Scout Committee? I hope not, because we already have some Committee members in mind, and the Assistant Scoutmaster and his wife arnt one of them!

And heads up, in December, i get my Red Beret, my Silver Stag, my Polor Bear award, my Bronze award, my 14-miler hikers award, and i've almost done my Ranger award, just 2 requried ones left!!!!!! But I still have trouble getting two scouts to listen to me, and they have leadership position, and one of them I think we are about to free him of his posotion, Quartermaster....

SPL_T15

The committee members for our Crew are not the same as the committee members for our troop.

Just a suggestion, to your problem of "But I still have trouble getting two scouts to listen to me, and they have leadership position, and one of them I think we are about to free him of his posotion, Quartermaster...."

if you are talking about the Venturing Crew rather than the troop, we've found that Crew decision making and such is best if there isnt a 'dictator' to listen to. We have a president who runs the meetings, but decisions are made by the whole group, and there really isnt anyone but our advisors to 'listen to' (and under some circumstances, they dont really get listened to either).

I dont know why I get a strange sense of foreboding, but I will do this anyway:

First of all, the Venturing Crew Committee does not have to be the same as the troop committee.

Next, just what do you have to do to earn:

1. Red Beret

2. Silver Stag

3. 14 Mile Hiker's Award (Hike 14 mile? There has to be more, right?)

I understand you are 14 years old, and you have bronze completed and are just 2 requirements from Ranger?

Has your Crew been organized yet or not, if it has it must have been in existence for quite awhile and I am suprised at your questions, and if it hasnt been organized, how can you have earned Bronze and only be 2 requirements from Ranger?

Not saying you couldnt be, just elucidate me

First, the the Quartermaster is in the troop, not the Committe.

Second, the Red Beret is a troop things, but here are our requiremnets: Earn your First Aid, Swimming, Camping, Wilderness Survival, and Cooking Merit Badges.

The Silver Stag, that what you earn after you finish your JLT ticket, I was a Beaver.

The Bronze Award, while we were a Venturing Patrol, we arned the Bronze Outdoor Award.

And the Ranger Award, I have the "Merit Badges" left for Ranger, then I will go to the Ranger handbook, and apply what I've learned from the merit badges to help me in the Rnger award requriemnts. See, Im not using the merit badges to be counted as my requriemnets, but to gain knowledge, unless you can use them to fufil the requriments.

Also, we have decided on our Venturing stuff, We will on many more occasions wear our class B uniform, which will consist of a Venturing blavk golf shirt, khaki pants, black socks, leather Boy Scout belts, with Venturing belt buckle. Our Class A, which I tried to tell everyone we should't do, will be the Khaki shirt, (sigh).

Also, I wont get killed now!!!! We are going to go to the schools in our parish and give the junior high to high school kids a night they can come and meet us at a meeting, then we will take everyone, yes that even means girls, on an experince camp-out, and if anyone want to join, may it be guys or girls, we will allow them to join. And, everyone will have a chance to have a position right off the bat, since we decided that we wouldnt give ourselves the first positions.

Oh yea, the 14-mile award isnt an official BSA award, its a medal the Vicksburg National Military Park gives to you if you have hiked 14-miles through the park, its a historic park.

I would like some other Venturing Adults opinion on this, DSteele especially you. While I support the idea of SPL here "double dipping", doing Venturing activities and counting them as merit badge activities as well, but can work towards Bronze be done BEFORE a scout becomes a Venturing Crew member? Can members of a Venture Patrol earn Bronze? I have my opinion, but I want to get others first.

BTW SPL, will you be wearing your uniform to school on Friday? When people ask you what you are, your response should be "a babe magnet"(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)