Low Impact/ No Trace Camping

I got a brief overview of the presentation that they are planning to do on No Trace for wood badge next year. I am not sure if this is in the standard training or something our council is adding on to WB. (Bob?)

If it is standard you may be able to get something from a WB staffer or from your council.

At this point in time the overview of Leave No Trace outdoor skills are part of the Introduction to Outdoor Skills training program. The course itself is laid out in a small manual (leaflet) designed so that a presenter (adult or youth) regardless of experience, can deliver. There is a handsom embroidered badge on completion of some specified activities in the bbochure. The full color brochure is free and available at your local council office. Be sure and take a brochure for the presenter and each participant. (I believe even adults can earn it.)

Bob White

Leave no trace is now part of the Wood Badge course.

What is great is that the Wood Badge participants, are invited to visit a Leave No Trace campsite, which is presented by a Venture Crew, the crew also facilitate a disscussion with the members of each patrol to hightlight the principles of Leave No Trace.

This happens on day four of the course.

While I admit to being a big fan of the new course, to my mind having youth involved is about the best thing that was added.

At this the "Halfway Mark," it kind of acts as a reminder of why we are there.

Eamonn

Here is a site that had a multitude of info.. We used it to teach LNT theme and the boys were captivated while we talked about smearing. If you don't know what that is then this site is for you.

http://www.princeton.edu/~oa/index.shtml

We also used it for teaching Tracking/Stalking. Look under natural history on the menu.(This message has been edited by troopmom)

Hello,

While it may not be of immediate help to you, this winter you may want to make sure that if you have a member of the troop who is in the OA you steer him toward attending NOAC next summer. NOAC ( National OA Conference) is an amazing week of training, competition, and shows. The last time I attended as a participant they had a very informative LNT session.

A youth who was helped to attend such an event would, I expect, come back excited and prepared to come back to his unit to help do just what you are looking for.

I can't say enough about NOAC, yet I doubt that the average Scouter is aware of it. Although primarily geared toward the OA, if more leaders would get their youth involved (excited)their troop camping program should improve.

Duh! That's the purpose of OA, BSA's service corps and promotion of camping (after their duty to troop, of course)