Venturing Uniforms

I see that the Ranger Award is a medal that can be worn for indoor type events and activities on the Venturing uniform. Does the Ranger Bar come as a separate item that is only the Silver Bar that can be worn across the pocket flap or above the pocket flap? I also read that there is a cloth strip Ranger Bar. Where does that go?

Thanks in advance,

Pounder

The Ranger Bar is separate from the actual medal. We usually award both as a set. It is supposed to be worn on the left pocket flap centered but I allow the venturers to flush it with the top seam. I have not heard about a cloth strip for the Ranger Bar. Might be a new thing.

Matua(This message has been edited by matuawarrior)

Thanks for the info Matua. Appreciate it. I really look forward to awarding the first one for our Crew. I hope the two boys who are holding it together actually work together and complete it together. How would they remember reciveing their Ranger Award if it was presented after 2 or 3 days on backpack trip, after a 12 mile day, ontop of a mountain trail, around the campfire, and my Associate Advisor and I pulled out the Award then and there. Would today's teenagers appreciate and remember something like that?

I would really leave it up to them the Venturers on how they would want it presented to them. The Ranger Award is the hardest of all the Venturing Awards. One of my Venturers, planned it just like an Eagle Ceremony. There's no real right or wrong way about it but just let them decide. Any ceremony would be memorable. The best ones are those that are simple and in a clearing outdoors.

Matua

Trail, Our first oponent had forfeit the game b/c their teachers had been on strike for over a week. Also, they have to forfeit tomorrow night's game against the varsity.

Let you know tomorrow sometime about how we do tonite.

Oh.... I almost forgot, we did scrimmage the sophmore team. We lost 40-0:(

Also, a kid on my team got to ride in an ambulance after breaking his arm in two places:(

And he was my backup on both offense and defense(This message has been edited by hops_scout)

Pounder, this may just be a regional thing, but when you talk about presenting the Ranger award to those Crew members would that outing you are on be the final requirement they had to accomplish?

As memorable as your scenario would be, I agree with Matua and the recipient should be allowed to plan the ceremony.

On the other hand, your proposal sure has a lot of romance and would rate very high on the memory of a lifetime meter.

Hops, No backup just means you'll have to play hard for 60 minutes on both sides of the ball!!! Watch those offensive guards, wherever they go, that's where the ball's going, most of the time.

OGE, We can surely have a reception at our House (The Legion) that they can plan in its entirety. I just think that if I could pull off an award presentation as I described above, it's a winner all the way around. I've heard tell that if the Ranger Award is done properly, it should take 2 to 2 1/2 years and that the effort expended would be about double that required to make Eagle.

What say you, OGE?

Pounder

I think comparing the Eagle Rank with the Ranger award is sorta like comparing the Girl Scout Gold award to the Eagle Rank, I dont think you can do it, they are separate programs with many similarites and differences.

I think anyone who receives an Eagle, or Ranger, or Gold should be congratulated on their accomplishment.

(yeah, I know, but November 2004 is comming and you never know, if arnold can be governor of Caly-Fornia, I have a shot at president, dont I?)

I have wondered what it would be like when one of the kids earns Ranger. We all have experience with the Eagle, it's well known and respected by even those who don't understand scouting. The venture program is fairly new, not many people even know it exists. Yet, the requirements are tough, and will no doubt take a whole lot of physical and mental work. Not many from the outside will look at it with the same awe they do Eagle. These kids are charting new territory, opening new doors. I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of ceremony, or presentation they may want. Be it on top of a mountain, or in the church basement I'll be there. It seems kind of fitting to be on a mountaintop if that's what they want.

Venture mom

I agree with OGE. Both Awards are unique to its own programs.

When we publicly edify the Venturers who earn the Ranger and Silver Awards. Those awards will receive the same amount of respect as the Eagle Award in due time. Who knows in a couple of years there maybe scholarships available to Rangers and Silver Awardees.

The ceremonies for these awards are only limited by the Venturers Imagination and resources. Having two Venturers who have earned their Ranger Awards. It was fun to watch them plan their Ranger Ceremonies. One was simple with only close friends and family while the other went all out. One Gold Recipient planned hers just like an Eagle Award Ceremony. All were fun and enjoyable.

Matua

Sorry Pounder, I was just reiterating a thought from a past thread. Our group hasnt pushed for many Awards, we have 6 bronze awardee's in our Crew but dont have anybody close to Ranger. While we are what I think pretty active, earning awards isn't what this Crew wants to do. Overtime with new members that will probably change.