Heading to Powder Horn Oct 3-5 and 17-19 in Ky and Indiana. Nice little drive but gives me a chance to stay with an army buddy on Thursday night. The Course Directors seem to have their stuff together and I'm looking forward to some Good Training. We'll see how the measure up to LBPU!!!

Anybody been to Powder Horn? Comments? will it be good for me, Nick the New Guy, to attend?

Thanks in Advance. P

I was mentioning this to my wife. She said, "I suppose you're going to tell me this makes you powder....." Well, you get the idea. Man, she sure has me pegged, how does she do that? I replied, "Of course not, dear." I declined to suggest that her usage was not proper.

• 2 weeks later...

One half down, one to go. One thing I can say is that the Powederhorn coirse in no way resembles Wood Badge, it would be like comparing Apples to oranges or Boy Scouts to Girl Scouts even. The course is resource oriented and a little skiils and information on the Venturing Program. I was at Ockininkon Scout Reservation in Upper Buck County PA, I dont think I have ever been on more moist campout, if it wasnt raining, it was so humid I soaked every shirt I brought, and I brought a lot!

Pounder, I cant beleive I am going to do this but I wont post a critique of my Powderhorn experience this week or next. I would like you to complete your course and then we can prepare notes. To give you my impression could "taint" your course, and that should not happen. I'll enjoy my course, you enjoy yours and then we'll talk. Along with any other Powderhorner of course

• 3 weeks later...

Went to Mt. Baker Council's Powderhorn Course in August 2003. It was an awesome experiance. Mt Baker Council is located in Washington State. Powderhorn is a High Adventure Skills Resource Management Course. In other words it is Ranger Award Based

High Adventure Vacation. Have fun!!!

Highly recommend every scouting adult to go to a Powderhorn Course. If you get the chance to go to Mt. Baker Council's course, go for it. I traveled from Wisconsin to Washington to attend this awesome course. Well worth the trip.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

I attended the first Powderhorn course in San Diego at Lost Valley Scout Reservation (Orange County council) in 2002. It was lots of fun in a different way than Wood Badge, and no ticket to work on later, but very practical in its application. It especially helped me found a new Crew right after that. And with the help of another Powderhorn graduate (from the same course) I have started regular Venturing Roundtables which have never been possible before. The Roundtable topics are taken directly from the resources for the Ranger award as taught in Powderhorn, telling crews how to plan and do outings that are advancement oriented and fun for everyone. So when you guys finish the course, instead of working on a Wood Badge style ticket, use the new knowledge to set your own goals to develop something that really helps Venturing in your area. Many of the people taking the Lost Valley course went on to staff another first Powderhorn course at Mataguay S.R. here at Desert Pacific council in 2003... so the momentum from Powderhorn is building for new success here in Venturing!

hey Trail Pounder,

I know some of the staff for that coarse. I had been hearing about it for months. My council (Shawnee Trails) has a dedicated little corps group of trainers, so many of those same Powder Horn people were putting on a Wood Badge just a couple of weeks before. I hope everything went well. I would like to hear what you thought of the coarse. Your perspective would be particularly interesting since you sound like you are not from the area.