Activities that work

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure OGE, but I think it goes through Giant City.... dont know

Vmom- down there it is hilly, etc for the most part. That is probably the main area for climbing outdoors in Illinois or one of the better places.

Where I'm at, we have the bluffs. I sit about 10 miles, probably less, to the Mississippi River. Our camp could have some climbing, wouldnt you say purcelce? I know the Girl Scouts wanted to do that one year, but their instructor ended up overseas.

OGE,

The R2R Trail buzzes right by Makanda and goes through Giant City. It begins just east of Cave-in-Rock at Battery Rock on the Ohio River and goes 162 miles across the Shawnee National Forest to Grand Tower on the Mississippi, which is just southwest of Carbondale.

It would take 2 weeks to go from R2R. We're just going to do the eastern 50 miles in the spring.

Pounder

We are a COED crew of 5 female and 7 male youth and 15 adults male and female,

Some of our outings include Sea Kayaking on Lake Superior, Backpacking in the Porkies, PADI Scuba Certifications, Wreck diving in the Great Lakes

Gun Deer hunting in Wisconsin, Grouse hunting, Walleye fishing on the Winnebago system,Ice fishing, Video game weekend, Laser tag, Sporting Clays outing, Weeklong treks up at Hanna Venture Base in Rhinelander Wisconsin. One meeting a month is a fun meeting where we do different things like bowling, mini golf, march in parades, movie night, you have to make it "FUN" for the youth. Let them plan what they want to do. That is what Venturing is all about. Have a Chartering Organization that does the things you want to do. Our Chartering Organization is the Germantown WI. Gander Mountain Store. It is an Outdoor supply store like Cabela's. We have an Awesome Charter that works with us for the benefit of all

Jim

Advisor

Venturing Crew 80

Germantown WI.

Est. August 2001

I am new on the forum and I am sorry I didnt get to post about backpacking while it was fresh. My coed crew loves backpacking and often it's the girls that initiate the backpacking trips. Not only do the girls carry their share of the weight, they are usually in lead positions on the hikes. I wouldn't want to see the reprecussions of questioning their will and strength.

On activities that work our crew does a lot of climbing, both indoor and outdoor, as well as biking, and white water rafting.

I absolutely love the idea of a co-ed crew. If ever the time comes, I will quickly remind myself that you folks were correct and not just spouting politically correctness at me. In your absence I will give myself 3 or 4 zingers about "I told you so, I told you so!" I'm from Missouri. But, tell me, are we meeting the requirements for the backpacking elective by going 3 days, 2 nights and travelling not less than 15 miles? 7.5 miles each day, with food, water, tentage, sleeping bag, clothes, and other gear?

Pounder

I know that you were not meaning to be sexist in your comment about backpacking, or I highly hope that you weren't, but girls are capable of doing anything you ask your guys to do. In fact, I feel that the woman in my crew try harder to be equal with the boys. I work at an all girls summer camp and this summer we had a unit of girls ages 12-16 hike 57 miles on the Appalacian Trail. A pretty big accomplishment for girls. So my suggestion is don't underestimate your girls. If they are not sure of themselves, they might chose not to go, but most likely they just need encouragement to try something new.

Sexist? How ridiculous. I read your post and if anything is sexist it would be your posts talking about "trying harder to be equal with the boys" and "a pretty big accomplishment for girls". I'll be a un-PC doubting Thomas until I see it with my own eyes, but your own statements tell me you don't believe a lick of what you said.

In a quote unquote "male-dominant" world, forgive me if I do see womans accomplishments as something big. No, I do not see womans accomplishments as being necessarily "better" than any thing that boys do, but it's definitely harder for woman to be treated equally.

There are enough people in the world, and I am in no way saying this includes you, that seem to think woman should be bare-foot and pregnant, and I am, indeed, proud of the girls at my camp, and the girls in my crew, and myself, for stepping up to do outdoors activities, which for many years, were not "able to be accomplished" by woman.

It just wasn't done...for how many years were woman forced to wear skirts to school and other places in public because they were meant to be a weaker, more gentle gender and should be displayed this way. So, no, I do not necessarily think you are sexist, but I do think that woman can do, and will strive to do, anything that a man can do.

If you will permit me, I would rather not have the Venture section of the Forum become embroiled in the same silly stuff that occurs in other secitons.

First, let me say our Crew has been around for almost 4 years and we have had two presidents, both girls. The Charter President is attending Smith right now and is not very active.

Another one of our female members was ScoutCraft director at Summer Camp and hosted two "Outposts" every week, Wilderness Survival and Canoe. She is pushng for more backpacking trips specifically to cover the Backpacking elective. She told me that one thing she learned over the summer was that personal hygiene was overrated and not showering every day is not a bad thing.

Our Council has an established Council wide Crew Council, the three officiers? all young ladies, (and BTW all from the Crew which I am happily allowed to serve)

When I see our Crew, I see youth members, not boys and girls, all have strengths and all have limitations, but gender has little to do with either.

If I may, I have scipted out the natural conclusion of the Trail Pounder/Campaholic debate:

CAMPAHOLIC: Anything you can do I can do better

..... .I can do anything better than you

TRAIL POUNDER: No, you can't

CAMPAHOLIC: Yes, I can

CAMPAHOLIC: Yes, I can, yes, I can

TRAIL POUNDER: Anything you can be I can be greater

......Sooner or later I'm greater than you

CAMPAHOLIC: No, you're not

TRAIL POUNDER: Yes, I am

TRAIL POUNDER: Yes, I am

TRAIL POUNDER: Yes, I am, yes I am

TRAIL POUNDER: I can shoot a partridge with a single cartridge

CAMPAHOLIC: I can get a sparrow with a bow and arrow

TRAIL POUNDER: I can live on bread and cheese

CAMPAHOLIC: And only on that?

TRAIL POUNDER: Yes

CAMPAHOLIC: So can a rat

TRAIL POUNDER: Any note you can reach I can go higher

CAMPAHOLIC: I can sing anything higher than you

CAMPAHOLIC: Anything you can buy I can buy cheaper

......I can buy anything cheaper than you

TRAIL POUNDER: Fifty cents

CAMPAHOLIC: Forty cents

TRAIL POUNDER: Thirty cents

CAMPAHOLIC: Twenty cents

TRAIL POUNDER: Anything you can say I can say softer

CAMPAHOLIC: I can say anything softer than you

TRAIL POUNDER: I can drink my liquor faster than a flicker

CAMPAHOLIC: I can do it quicker and get even sicker

TRAIL POUNDER: I can open any safe

CAMPAHOLIC: Without being caught?

TRAIL POUNDER: Sure

CAMPAHOLIC: That's what I thought (you crook)

TRAIL POUNDER: Any note you can hold I can hold longer

CAMPAHOLIC: I can hold any note longer than you

TRAIL POUNDER: No, you can't - yes, you can

CAMPAHOLIC: Anything you can wear I can wear better

......In what you wear I'd look better than you

TRAIL POUNDER: In my coat

CAMPAHOLIC: In your vest

TRAIL POUNDER: In my shoes

CAMPAHOLIC: In your hat

TRAIL POUNDER: Anything you can say I can say faster

CAMPAHOLIC: I can say anything faster than you

TRAIL POUNDER: Noyoucan't

CAMPAHOLIC: YesIcan

TRAIL POUNDER: I can jump a hurdle

CAMPAHOLIC: I can wear a girdle

TRAIL POUNDER: I can knit a sweater

CAMPAHOLIC: I can fill it better

TRAIL POUNDER: I can do most anything

CAMPAHOLIC: Can you bake a pie?

TRAIL POUNDER: No

CAMPAHOLIC: Neither can I

TRAIL POUNDER: Anything you can sing I can sing sweeter

CAMPAHOLIC: I can sing anything sweeter than you

CAMPAHOLIC: Oh, yes, I can

TRAIL POUNDER: No, you can't, can't, can't

CAMPAHOLIC: Yes, I can, can, can, can

I agree with Old Grey Eagle that each gender has strengths and limitations. Working together as a team to accomplish a common goal would mean pulling the strengths from each. We have just started the crew and are all male at this point, but are hoping to go coed. Me being the lone female as the asst. advisor and their ASM for the past 5 years have never felt I had to prove anything to the males. They treat me with respect, I do the best I can which is what we expect from anyone.

Since they are a backpacking oriented crew; anyone, male or female, would have to want to do that type of activity. We have had several boys while they were a patrol decide they didn't really like backpacking.

I think it's about finding young adults who enjoy the same type of activity getting together as a team and accomplishing goals.

venture mom

Hats off to OGE for snatching us once again from sinking into the quagmire (yet again) I'm embarrassed that our youth members see all the juvenile bickering that goes on in here - we probably wouldn't tolerate it from them! Would you mind running that post through a couple of other sections of the forum?

Thanks again