Activities that work

Hops, I'd be willing to bet that the student athletes that make the Rifle Teams at the service academies are already experienced Smallbore and 10 M Air shooters. I'd also say that if you are a self-starter, which I'm guessing you are, there would be plenty of tourneys, clinics, and competitions that you could find that you could do in addition to football, basketball, and baseball.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I have very little experience with a firearm. Actually, other than a few occasions with a BB gun, the only experience I have is from Scouting.

But, most people when they join the military have never fired a firearm in their lives and they protect us 365 days a year:)

Hops, I meant that on the USMA Shooting Team the members are very experienced in Smallbore and Air Rifle to get on the team. If you get into one of the service academies, you will probably get schooled in firearms. But, I wouldn't know. I was Wire Dog for 11 years. You would be surprised how little training in weaponry we actually got. But, I can roll some WD-1. P

Pictures from the Cardboard Boat Regatta,

the name of our award winning boat was Lil Nemo,

The theme of our boat was "Naval Orange"

The last two photos on the page are the boat, the other pictures is the troop sponsored by the same CO as the crew.

http://clubhouse.wso.net/myweb9/minsi_outing.htm

Oh the awarsd Lil Nemo garnered

Second Place Titanic Award for most graceful sinking

First Place award for Best "dressed"

(remember, its good to win the race, but its better to look good, and we looked Mah-val-lussss!)(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

Where would be a good place to get started learning about the shooting sports elective. Say, air pistol or air rifle, this is what they are leaning towards. They have all done the summer camp deal with rifle merit badge, and a couple have a little experience by going with their dads, but none have any serious experience.

I'm just not sure where to begin.

venture mom

Trailpounder:

It's about 6 hours to Cincy from here, so however much further to S. Ill.

Another place that looks promising to explore is the Big South Fork area in Tenn/Ky. One of our kids dad went there and brought back some fantastic pictures and said it is awesome there.

VM

Mom, there are a few websites the Crew members could check out concerning the Ranger Electives. I know this is difficult in advising a Venture Crew, but don't get in the habit of doing to much research especially when it could be done by Crew members. Some things the kids can do , others they cant, but always let them try first. If you have already done that, have at it

VMom,

The CMP (Civilian Marskmanship Program) state Jr. Shooting coordinator is who we first contacted and got us up and running. She was and continues to be invaluable to our new program.

COL Thomas W. Johnson

232 Winding Ridge Dr

Sylva, NC 28779-9414 (828)586-5059 (H)

Email: coljsylv@usa.net

We also affiliated with the American Legion and the CMP.

Pounder

Old Grey Eagle:

Yes, that is true. They are learning to research for themselves, we're learning to step back and let them. They have done some research in our area of places they could go to shoot. We advisors have not done any of the contacting. They're actually doing pretty well considering the president is 14, I'm pretty impressed with his committment. He delegates, some do what he told them and some come back and say they forgot. We let him deal with that.

It's pretty interesting working with older scouts, I'm learning a whole lot from them.

Venture mom

Trail Pounder:

Thanks for that info. We can point the guys in this direction and see what they can find out. I want to see them doing research and realizing they're not going to knock this out in a couple weeks time. At first when they started they thought it would be like doing a merit badge. Now they're realizing this venturing is a whole new ball game.

VM

Hops:

What is that area lke? I mean, is it hilly, or pretty flat? We are so used to up and down mountains that it would be interesting to see a different type terrain. The pictures I saw didn't look as though it were flat. I am familiar with Cincy as I grew up there, is it similar?

mom

VMom, The R2R Trail is definitely not flat. I'm sure the it pales in comparison to the mountains in NC. The southernmost part of Illinois where the Shawnee National Forest lies as well as the very northwestern corner of Illinois the Galena Territory, don't look like the rest of the state. If you want flat. Look up the Illinois & Michigan Canal State Trail. It's 62 miles of FLAT. You want flat? We got flat! Pounder(This message has been edited by Trail Pounder)

Pounder:

Flat is what we pray for when we're out climbing a trail with no end in sight, or you think you've reached the top and only turn the bend and see another climb ahead! It definitely would be different. What kind of elevation changes does the R to R trail have? What for instance is the higest and lowest points out of curiosity. Around here anything even remotely flat is so overused and worn. AT follows the ridge line a lot, but there are plenty of climbs too. Any trail that connects to it is a serious climb. The plus side is the beauty, there are some pretty spectacular views around these parts. You just have to work to get there.

VM