Pounder, just so there is no misunderstanding, when I talk about curfews, its for training, we ran both the Venture Leadership Skill Course and the basic first aid training for Ranger over two separate week ends. The kids never did settle down at night. At the Council Rendezvous and Cardboard Boat race, they seemed to be fueled on adrenaline.

When we do back packing, as with your crew there is no such issue.

PS. How can you do anything in Venturing and NOT involve the youth?

(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

A Venturing Adult Leader Roundtable in Trail Pounder's world would not include the youth. How else could advisors and old scouters get together and plot against the teen leadership? To do the other, I would entitle the gathering the "Venturing Youth Roundtable, Venturing Teen Roundtable, Youth Officer's Call, Crew Officer's Call, or something similiar. Trail Pounder's World is pretty simple. There are 10 rings to be shot out and there are trails to be pounded.

By George, I think he's got it, or at least a place I wanna go...

Now help me out, what color pill do I take to get to pounders world? The Red or the Blue?

BTW: TO all forum members, The Pennsylvania Cabela's is open in Hamburg, if you ever decide to drop in, let me know, I am about 30 minutes from there, its a real interesting place

• 4 weeks later...

I started a regular Venturing Roundtable (RT) in our district after being Boy Scout RT Commissioner for three years, and then attending a Powderhorn course and helping found a new crew that includes my Eagle Scout 15-year old son, 7 other boys and 8 girls. I agree that RT is for the adults... the same reason the Boy Scout RT is for the adults, but I also welcome and encourage the all crew leader "young adults" (and aspiring leaders) to attend. They can come in a forest green class-A uniform or not, I don't care as long as they participate. It is a good opportunity for them to get credit for "table top" teaching demonstrations they need for their advancement. It also helps the Advisors there understand the balancing act of running crews by the young adults. They can actually talk about these problems from a discussion topic designed to facilitate that interaction.

It is simply unrealistic to think the kids from the crews are going to plan all the main RT speaker presentations. So with my Venturing RT staff of two lady Advisors we do most of the work arranging main topic speakers based on the Ranger award core requirements and electives just like the resources at Powderhorn teach. The goal is to tell the crew leaders, young and old, how to plan and manage fun High Adventure activities and outings that promote advancement to Silver. It is not a fixed RT theme like the 3-year cycle of 36 standard topics Boy Scouts use. Instead we ask the crews to tell us they are actually interested in and want to learn about based on the Ranger requirements. We are not pushing earning the Ranger but it is a real solid foundation to work from and we have the detailed resources from Powderhorn.

I also encourage Scoutmasters and Boy Scout troop leaders to attend since the High Adventure presentations are of great interest to most of their older Boy Scouts (there are a few exceptions based on the Guide to Safe Scouting), and that helps break down the barriers and misconceptions between Boy Scouts and Venturing. If there aren't enough crews and Venturing activity to support an RT every month it is better to have a really good one less often, but on a regular schedule. Make an effort to promote it and they will come when they realize the benefits. Another approach that we know is successful is to replace a regular Boy Scout RT in each district with a Venturing RT on a regular rotational basis, so there is one available somewhere in the council every month. That also gives a ready-made mix of Boy Scout leaders to help give the meeting some momentum. These methods really work, so go to Powderhorn to learn about how to use the Ranger award resources and then get started doing Venturing RT!(This message has been edited by KA6BSA)

Pounder,

Why would youth have to be excluded from a Venturing Roundtable? They are not required to be excluded from Boy Scout Roundtables. And I am curious as to why you think Roundtables are for leaders to gather and gab? That's like saying troop meetings are for scouts to meet and play basketball for an hour.

There may be roundtables as you describe but that is no more the pupose or program of roundtable that the basketball game/troop meeting.

Bob White

KA6BSA

Just so I understand, your Roundtables consist of topics the RT Staff thinks the youth want to know about or topics the youth have told you they want to know about?

I in no way wish to appear snotty, but I have learned if you want to sell Venturing as the Youth's program, then they need input in all phases of the program. You are correct in saying the Youth can't run it all, but their finger should be in every Venturing pie going. Then again, just how far should Youth led extend into the program?(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)