What does it take to make Venturing go?

So you say the B.S.A. has a Head Executive for the Venture Program,

isn't the Venture Program part of Boy Scouts and not the Venturing Program

In order to stop the confusion between Boy Scout Venture Patrols and Venturing Crews

The Program is called Venturing,we have members that are called Venturers, and units are called Venturing Crews not Venture Crews

You say "think outside of the box" and I say "what box"?

As far as the Official not required but preferred uniform do you really think the B.S.A. wants Girl Scout emblems on them!!!

Ask your Council Executive, not your District Executive

I know that each Crew can pick their own uniforms except for tan B.S.A. shirts with green loops

Federal Law prohibits the use of any military uniform for any organization.

The B.S.A. is exempt from this law as long as all military insignia is removed and replaced with B.S.A. insignia. The idea is that to the casual observer that the uniform is part of the B.S.A. Not the U.S. military

If Crews can choose their own uniform. Could they pick the official Girl Scout Uniform for their Crew and wear B.S.A. insignia and rank badges on them? Could you imagine an Eagle Court of Honor with that uniform on a 14-17 year old male youth Crew member

Just something to think about!!!

Jim

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"If Crews can choose their own uniform. Could they pick the official Girl Scout Uniform for their Crew and wear B.S.A. insignia and rank badges on them? Could you imagine an Eagle Court of Honor with that uniform on a 14-17 year old male youth Crew member"

Now that would be outside the box!!!

Hi folks.

I'm not going to weigh in on the nice banter I see in this thread. I think a lot of good ideas are being exchanged and it is, after all, still a young program. The issues you're dealing with on a crew level -- particularly in the arena of aknowledging the accomplishments of young ladies in the GSUSA (I'd better say that, my wife has her Gold Award and can camp and so forth as well as anyone.)

I just want to clarify a couple of things as it relates to some of the organization of the National Council of the Boy Scouts of America.

The BSA is organized into several divisions. There is a National Director of Program (he and I started in the same district.) Reporting to him are (among some others, but I'm not sure at the moment who) are a National Director of Cub Scouting, National Director of Boy Scouting, and a National Director of Venturing. I've known the National Director of Venturing since he was an Assistant Scout Executive. I can assure you he is real.

However, he would be the first to tell you that he is not the "head of Venturing." The title may suggest it, but that isn't the reality. CH works with volunteer committees and serves as their staff advisor, much like your council professionals.

My point is that volunteer input is important and participating in this type of forum (in a way that I can't clearly define,) helps to bring attention to important issues.

DS

Venture - Venturing... Whatever. I am afraid that you sadly missed the point.

I have been a girlscout leader for 10 years and I am not going to debate the girlscout thing. It has no point nor merit.

I had greater hopes for this forum.

I hope you do well in your scouting endevers.

Um - well

So what do you folks with active Crews see as critical elements? Beyond what we see in the training materials and Jamie S' "Lessons Learned" on the Electronic Venturing Magazine?

What advice could you offer to those just starting out?

Thanks!

Plan outings, at least one a month, keep them simple at first and then make sure they happen and increase the extremeness of the events (start with car camping and move on to back packing, if you have experienced campers, go right to back packing)

Have the Crew plan each event (another reason to keep it simple) they will get the hang of it and will increase the complexity of the events, in other words

What does it take to make Venturing go? Just Do!