how can an ADULT get BSA certified lifeguard?

relating to the 'safe swim' thread is there a way for an ADULT to become BSA lifeguard certified without taking the course at camp?

I have never heard of our council or district offering it outside of camp, and at camp the adults are too busy to spend the entire week doing it.

any ideas?

If your SPL is doing his job, the adults should be anything but busy unless they are volunteering at some special station like the waterfront.

There is paperwork to be done and a few meetings to attend but the paperwork is done at night and the meetings can be attended by those who aren't doing other pressing things.

At camp this year, our Aquatics Director, who just completed National Camp School, said that the BSA and Red Cross were nearing an agreement for reciprocity. We have run BSA Lifeguard during the winter at a local pool. IF there's a demand, find a pool and a counselor and go for it! In addition to the skills portion, the course requires Safe Swim Defense, Safety Afloat, and CPR Certification, so plan accordingly.(This message has been edited by scoutldr)

BSA Lifeguard is a great way for adults to help their troop program. It isnt an easy program because it involves demonstrating that you are proficient in aquatic sports. I know when you take it at camp it takes the whole week. If you dont have scout that are able or have the time to do it, have a Scouter do it. Having them become one does not take away from Patrol Method and youth led troop.

Not to be snotty or anything - but i'd LOVE to be part of a troop that has 6 or 7 adults along to take different responsibilities, and have an SPL that acted like an adult - but we don't have that - we had two leaders at camp with 21 boys - 18 of which were first-timers at that camp, and about 10 were not yet tenderfoot. all were 14 or younger and we had other pressing problems (see my post on Hazing at camp)

Even if things HAD gone smoothly, no rain, no sick kids, no cooking badge that took most of our older boys away at mealtimes and meeting times - i don't see how an adult can take BSA lifeguard during ALL the program time at camp - unless they have enough adults that they really don't need that leader there in the first place. our troop has never had that luxury of too many adults.

If we want to get there, we have to provide fun opportunities for the boys to learn leadership skills, and in order to provide those opportunities, we have to have trained people in the troop.

We had ONE boy who tried to get it at camp - but he got sick on thurs and was out for the day - so he was unable to get the whole thing.

so i guess I'll be looking for it for both of us - for him to finish, if he chooses, and for me to see if i can do it.

Laura,

I certainly understand that if a Troop is working toward being completely boy run, but not yet there, sparing adults could be tough. But I suspect that if you point toward next year, you could do so if you tried.

Two years ago, as the acting SM at summer camp, I had three other adults there for the week. Two of them took and completed BSA Lifeguard, and I am pretty certain that if one or the other of us wanted to, we could have made it three of four.

But it does take a youth leadership group that plans well in advance, and works well with the boys in their Patrols.

Fortunately, teaching the boys how to do this is our responsiblity. So if we do our job well, eventually, we should be able to do most anything we want at summer camp.

I recall your thread on the hazing incident, and can understand how difficult it must have been for just two adults, and I agree that more adults should be recruited to go. But sooner rather than later, with you positive attitude, your guys will be able to run things on their own, and the two of you will do fine, I'm positive.

Mark

It's at the counsellor's discretion, but normally you can just demonstrate the skills and pass the written test to be recertified. Also, a current CPR certification is required. One excellent way of recertifying is to help teach a course.