one of our easier fundraisers is selling bottled water at fairs and parades. We buy the bottled water at Sams Club by the case for about 17 cents each and sell them for $1 a bottle. the day before the sale, we fill the refridgerator at church with the cases of water and chill them. I take home a few cases and freeze them solid in my big chest freezer. the morning of the event, we meet at the church and load frozen and chilled bottles in the patrol coolers, load them up on little red wagons and head down the parade route or to the park, etc. anything we don't sell can keep, store without spoiling and doesn't need to be refrigerated. the troop can also drink it if we want to.

another easy fundraiser is 'Cartridges for Kids', http://www.cfktoday.com/ Please, if you sign up for this, mention that you were refered to them by BSA Troop 159 Woodstock, IL. Any group that refers another group, gets additional funds - won't affect YOUR earnings, but adds to ours.

There are MANY cartridge recycling organization like this one out there. What you do is collect ink-jet cartridges and laser cartridges from homes and businesses, and send them in to be recycled. this particular group had the wideest list of cartridges they recycled, AND they also recycle cell phones. The recycling organizatrion pays for shipping by sending you pre-porinted fed ex or ups labels - you just box up the cartridges/phones in a box, slap on a lable and call for pickup. If you get enough cartridges from one place - say a crew parent's business - you can set them up with their own contact - CFK will mail shipping labels directly to the business and the business ships their own cartridges. CFK sends your troop/crew a check once a month for whatever they have received that month from all of your sources or whatever you sent in yourselves.

Unless you have some really good business contacts - this doesn't make ALOT of $ - but it is very little effort for the return. I box up about 30 laser cartridges and a couple of dozen ink cartridges and ship them out every month, from families just bringing them in to meetings, and we get between $40 and $80 a month from one shipment a month.

My troop does a barbeque(sp?) each year as our number one fundraiser. We also do the popcorn, etc..

The packs also do the popcorn, have a barbeque and car wash. They also work in stands at the ball park and make a certain percent of their sales.

the most lucrative fundraiser our boys have come up with is a spring yard clean up. We split the Troop up into crews of 5 - 8 boys and a parent or two, and sell ourselves to friends and family for spring yard clean up, mulching, planting, weeding, etc. A with everything we do (car wash, pancake breakfast, etc.), we leave it to th customer to determine te valueof he work done. We feel most folks re far more generous than we would have expected. Our guess is that we make easily 50% more by asking for whatever dnation the customer thinks it was worth, rather than setting a figure.

Good luck to you!

Mark

We have a lot of success with the Scout popcorn sales. I realize that the older Scouts don't think much of going door-to-door, but much of our success is through the 'show and sells' out front of grocery, hardware and video stores.

In addition to making good money for our unit, the popcorn sale also helps support our council.