Do we have the right to know?

It is all a lie........

So our FOS presenter came in and said that our responsibility was $150 per boy......So I asked how that was calculated.....He said they took the total number of boys and divided it by the expenses.

So my follow up question was "Does that include income from the popcorn sale?" Response was NO. That ended his pitch at our Blue and Gold.....

So instead of manipulating the facts he should have said our expenses are X million Dollars, we had income from Popcorn of X million dollars and each scout has a responsibility of $30 after popcorn.

I don't have a problem with that......

If you raise too big a stink you will just simply be kicked out.......And god forbid you question a professional, it will get you kicked out.

May I speak about the DE for a minute?

In reference to DEs their jobs and their salaries, I can say that A) they work their butts off, B) There are some unrealsitic expectations at times, C)the work decription is spot on, and D) very high divorce rate b/c time spent away form families, and E) The job can be very stressful.

I know a friend sat down and calculated that we made about $2.18 an hour since we don't get overtime. he said I got less since I worked summer camp.

I had one friend who was a Marine recruiter, a high stress job. His wife wished he had that job again instead of being a DE as it was less stress AND he spent more time with the family as a Marine.

As y'all know, my wife threatened to divorce me within 2 months of marriage b/c of the job. I had 1 coworker's wife just up and leave, 1 coworker's wife kicked him out, and another had his 3rd wife leave him b/c of the job.

Anyway, that's the DE perspective.

The DE is the only paid professional that I have ever (EVER!!) interacted with (other than the scout shop employees). It's a stressful, thankless, and number-driven job that for sure doesn't pay enough. However, why is that the way it is?

I remember last summer talking to the DE during the cub scout day camp. I asked him if he was going to be around that week since it was probably the biggest (if not only) district event going on. He said a lot of the time yes, but that he needed to come up with $10K in FOS donations by Wednesday of that week. His words: "I have no idea where am I gonna get it".

I was flabbergasted. It told me the immense amount of pressure these poor guys are under. But the thing is, THAT IS WRONG. It is WRONG to put those guys under donation quotas, new units quotas, new scouts quotas, JTE quotas.

It for sure doesn't make me want to donate money. I STILL do not agree to where it is going. And less that 1% of revenue donated back to scouters in need is PREPOSTEROUS. I am done with funding the salaries of over paid executives.(This message has been edited by momof2cubs)

Btw, Lisabob, you made my point for me. I know the DEs are overworked and it would be impossible for them to pitch to 40+ units. My dirty work comment was related to everyone at the council level, specially executives.

And my council listed the executive at over 300K plus two other board members at over 100K. Yeah, I'm not gonna fund that. Not when they turned around and spent over 3 million dollars on salaries for 53 other people and another 3 million dollars on a contractor that did "construction". Which I am assuming is the new swimming pool/bathhouse installed at one of our camps. A fat load of good that's gonna do to poor scouts that cannot afford to go.

Basement posted, "The DE's job stinks......No doubt about it.

Not sure why anyone would ever want to do it......."

I suppose most DE's know that if they can last a handful of years and keep getting promoted, a nice SE job with a much better salary will eventually be waiting for them. And after a few more years, an even better SE job will be available somewhere.

Chazz Lees

The DE's job is "outside sales", plain and simple. They live and die by the numbers. Money, units, members are the key metrics, and if they don't hit their goals, they are let go. I once saw our DE at camp splitting firewood by himself, on the weekend. They were cutting down trees and selling the wood to raise money.

Why do folks become DEs, even after very well respected mentors and friends, who said they would write you a recommendation for a job, only to say "[Heck] no, have you lost your [freaking] mind?!?!?! Jesus, have mercy on his soul. Are you insane?!!?! Do you know what your getting into?!?!?!?!" when told it's for a DE position?

I can't speak for others, but I can speak for myself. I did it to give back to scouting. Scouting has been very good to me, and now my family. I wanted to help others take advantage of the opportunities that Scouting has given to me. I worked on the district committee as a college student, and even shadowed a DE for a few days. And I talked to friends in the profession about it. So I did have an idea of what to expect.

But every council is different, heck every SE is different. And the quality of the SE affects the council. I had a lousy SE, and quit. But if I had the current SE, I probably would have hung around a lot longer.(This message has been edited by eagle92)

OGE: I just rechecked. Three executives are also listed as board members (plus the SE). Directors of Development, Field Service, and Support Service. All three at over 100K. The rest of the board members listed are not paid employees.

I believe in the program and what it teaches. I believe in the countless volunteers that have donated their time to the betterment of my children and thousands of youth across the country. I support my unit and my district. But I won't support questionable finances.