Professional Staff

Ok by request I'm doing a basic, from memory, organization chart of pros. Again this is basic as different types of councils have different structures

Office Support Staff= the folks who do all the paperwork at the council office, i.e. registrar, office manager, etc.

Paraprofessionals= those folks who are serving youth, but not in a professional capacity. SCOUTREACH leaders sometimes fall into this category, as well as some folks who are doing internships

Council Camp Staff= as the name implies.

District Executives = lowest on the commissioner professional ladder. Work with units.

Senior DE's = Those who have at least 3 years expereince and do not have supervisory responsibilities

District Director = SDE with some supervisory responsibility and not a middle manager

Field Director = pro who supervises 2 or more DEs, SDEs, and DDs. This is mid management

FILL IN THE BLANK Director = middle manager that specializes in a particular area. Examples I've seen include Program Director, Camping Director (these first two are not to be confused by folks with the same title at summer camp), Reservation Direcor, Endowment Director, and Finance Director.

Director of Field Services = depending upon size of the council, the #2 person. supervises 2 or more FDs. Upper management.

Director of Support Services = the upper manager who is responsible for support, i.e. council service center, finance, camps etc.

Scout Exec.

Again this is basic and based upon my memory and experiences. So if I left anything out, please feel free to add.

Back in the day, my council had a Camping & Activities Director. That job appears to have been subsumed by the job of Support Services Director, which includes camping, activities, resident camps, day camps, civic service, etc.

To confuse the matter, my council has three full-time Program Directors. They serve as summer Camp Directors, supervising summer Program Directors, and also advise other council program stuff (civic service, activities, OA, etc.)

The DFS position in my council is described as the COO, Chief Operating Officer.

Don't forget camp Rangers.(This message has been edited by shortridge)

I am in a large council (top five in the country).

This is our staff directory:

http://www.northernstarbsa.org/Contacts/Staff.aspx

In admin we have the SE, an HR manager, and compensation/benefits manager, and a CFO. There's a director of marketing, and five fundraising professionals. 23 DDs, SDEs or DEs. Deputy SE for Field service, three Field Directors and a Field Manager (Plus Field Assistants - who do a lot of the heavy lifting).

There's another Deputy SE - for Operations and a Training and Advancement Director. Seven people in Camping plus 9 Rangers & assistants (For 7 of our 10 properties). Two people in IT - plus a Web/social media guy in marketing. Haven't really touched other support staff or para professionals (have about 6 of those, I think. Those jobs are heavy turnover - several are open now: http://www.northernstarbsa.org/Employment/)

Our Scout shops are National Shops, so their employees are not council staff.

Would be nice if we had even one IT person. Our website is almost useless, and mostly out of date for a lot of stuff. We have no dedicated individuals working it. Needless to say, our communications are hindered a lot, even for a small one county council. Still have close to 9,000 people on the books, with leaders.