New Tiger Leader w/no info & and intro

Hi, my name is Sharon & I am from NJ. I have 3 kids, DJ is 3rd grade and in Scouting, Jemma is 3 and wants to be a scout, LOL, and Nicholas who waited so patiently to become a Tiger to follow his brother.

We are finally there and I was asked to be a Tiger Cub leader. I volunteered the end of last year when there was only ONE Tiger Cub signed up knowing that my son and his friends were anxious to join. Nobody else wanted to do it so they call'd me, LOL!

We are actually going Camping this weekend, at Camp Winnebago, my DH & oldest all weekend and me & my Tiger doing the day-trip. A couple of the new cubs will be going too, however things are rather loose in the troop lately. I believe this is the Scout masters last year and I can see how over the past couple years things have gotten a little un-organized. The first pack meeting was total chaos!!

I have yet to hold a Tiger meeting because I was never given the complete list of boys names. Hopefully after the camping trip this week. So, I am looking for info here online in addition to the book. I am signed up for a class this month which will hopefully allow me to get some answers on how to run a Tiger meeting & how to involve the parents. I would like to see this troop stay together and have fun, while getting all the needed achievments accomplished. If anyone has any tips, tricks or info I would really appreciate it...I have the enthusiasm, just not the knowledge, LOL!

Just an FYI I cut all my hair off when I was 6 years old because I was jealous of my older brother being in Boy Scouts...I thought Girl Scouts were for Prima Donna's & didn't understand why they wanted to sleep in cabins instead of tents.

I have this site marked so I can continue to come back, it looks very informative!!!!!

*THANKS*

Sharon

Hey, repeating that head-shaving stunt may make a good den meeting program!

Sounds like you're on the right track. Take the training and read both your son's Tiger book and the Cub Scout Leader Handbook.

Cut the pack leadership some slack until you have a better chance to see what's going on. Cub Scout activities can look like absolute chaos unless you understand what's happening. Part of what we try to do is let boys be boys and run together with their buds. Some parents don't understand that we're creating a environment where they can do this safely.

Welcome to the campfire!

Blackie 6, WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck and Have FUN!!! Stop waiting. Either the rest will catch up or they won't. There's no time to lose, if you hope to keep the excitement and interest of the boys you know you have.

You're already ahead of the game because you're scheduling training. Among the resources that the Pack should supply you with are: Den Leaders Handbook, Den Leaders How-To Book, 2004-2005 PROGRAM HELPS (!!!!!), and Tiger Handbook. Of course there are other resources, as well. Don't overwhelm yourself though, if it's not fun for you, you'll have a tough time making it fun for the boys.

This Forum is a great resource - another step ahead for/by you!!! An important point to remember is that the posters have varying amounts of experience and sensibilities. Also, there are many more readers than posters, so posters will often write to a broader audience than just you. Your question may seem simple and direct, but the answer impacts others so it might be broader in scope. A thick skin comes in handy at times. Trust, though, that every poster means well for you and all the Scouters they can reach.

Also, Tigers, while seemingly evolving to be more like Wolf and Bear, is still a bit of a different beast with its approach to parent involvement. Not all Scouters "get that" but its an important part of Tigers as they exist today.

PS >> A lot of Forum Scouters WISH they still could cut off all their hair!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

jd

(Tigers are great, but WOLVES RULE!!!!!)

Welcome!

First go to http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/faststart/

for some quick online training. Then go to

http://www.scoutway.net/pacsky/ypt/protection.html

for a quick youth protection training online.

Hope this helps and good luck from someone who has been there.

Kristi

Qualifications:

If residing in this country but not a citizen of the United States, agrees to abide by the Scout Oath and Law, to respect and obey the laws of the United States of America, and to subscribe to the BSA statement of religious principle. Is at least 21 years of age and of good moral character. Should be interested in and enjoy working with boys and be able to work with adults. Should be an expefienced leader, but may be a parent or guardian of a boy in the den. Recommended by the Cubmaster after consultation with the parents and guardians of the Tiger Cubs involved, and approved by the pack committee and chartered organization. Registered as an adult leader of BSA.

Responsibilities:

The Tiger Cub den leader's responsibilities are to

Give leadership in carrying out the pack program in the den.

Complete Tiger Cub den leader Fast Start Training and position-specific Basic Leader Training. Attend monthly roundtable meetings.

Lead the den in its participation at pack meetings.

Serve as den host or hostess for family members at the pack meetings.

Work in harmony with other den and pack leaders.

Help the Cubmaster (or assistant Cubmaster) and pack committee to recruit new boys.

Coordinate shared leadership among the Tiger Cub adult partners in the den.

Ensure that each Tiger Cub and his adult partner have the opportunity to be the host team, planning and executing the den activities, rotating responsibilities monthly.

Make pack and den resources available to the host team, ensuring the completion of the den component of the Tiger Cub advancement requirements.

Use Boys' Life and Scouting magazines, Cub Scout Program Helps, the Tiger Cub Handbook, and other Cub Scouting literature as sources for program ideas.

Keep accurate records of den dues and attendance. Collect weekly den dues (optional) and turn them in to the pack treasurer at the monthly pack leaders' meetings.

Maintain a friendly relationship with the Tiger Cubs and their adult partners.

Encourage Tiger Cubs to earn advancement awards. Keep accurate advancement records and see that the boys receive recognition for their achievements.

Stimulate the Tiger Cubs' imaginations on the program theme for the month, and work with the adult partners to prepare boys for participation in pack meetings.

Promote the religious emblems program, as available to Tiger Cubs.

Help the den and pack earn the National Summertime Pack Award.

Take part in the annual pack program planning conference and pack leaders' meetings.

Help set a good example for the boys through behavior, attitude, and proper uniforming.

Help the Cubmaster or assistant Cubmaster provide a meaningful recognition ceremony for the transition of Tiger Cub dens as they enter Wolf dens at the end of the Tiger Cub year.

Throughout the year, keep in mind the transition goal of moving the boys to the next level in Cub Scouting.

Support the policies of the BSA.

The main responsibilities of the Tiger Cub den leader can be summarized as follows:

Work directly with other den and pack leaders to ensure that their den is an active and successful part of the pack.

Coordinate shared leadership among the Tiger Cub adult partners, ensuring that all adult partners help plan, conduct, and prepare for den meetings and Go See It outings on a rotating basis and that the den activities provide advancement opportunities for the boys in the den.

Attend pack leaders' meetings.

Lead the den at the monthly pack activity.

Ensure the transition of Tiger Cubs into a Wolf den at the end of the year.

Just a reminder - All on-line youth protection should be accessed thru your own council website. There is area specific information relating to the state/local laws about reporting abuse.

Cajuncody's link is for a California council. Blackie6 is in New Jersey, possibly part of Patriot's Path Council. Here is the on-line training from PPC:

http://www.scouting.org/pubs/ypt/ypt.jsp

Here is their home page - They have a nice site!

http://ppbsa.org/

Thanks for the BIG welcome...I really do appreciate the advice, links and info.

Twocubdad: Nope, no plans on shaving my head, LOL! And, this is my 3rd year at seeing the "chaos" because I do have another scout who is a Bear. I am afraid many of the strong leaders have moved on & this is the Cub Masters last year as well. So possibly this is a re-structuring kind of year, LOL!

JohnD: I am due to take a class in 2weeks for New Leaders which I hope will tie up any loose end questions I have. I had to buy my own books, the pack gave me nothing. The cub master is trying to juggle too much this year and I feel sort of like it's fend for yourself...so I am glad that there are alot of experienced posters out there and I welcome their comments. PS, having another Scout in the family, we are Tiger AND Bear fans, LOL! BTW, I am in Central NJ...a good place to be especially during all this Hurricane mess. The North is having alot of flooding and the South is getting flooding from being on the ocean/coast.

CajunCody: Thank you so much for the links...as soon as I get a couple minutes to myself I will look at them. I have found a couple sites...like this one and bookmarked it already knowing I will need the resources ASAP. Were you a Tiger Leader too?

Scout nut: Yes, we are part of the Patriots Path Council and I did find the site. I actuall printed off the enrollment form for the class I am supposed to go to since the Cub Master hasn't given me any paperwork yet. I figured everyone is too busy trying to get ready for camping this weekend. Thank you for taking the time to provide me with the information, I do appreciate knowing there are so many informed posters out there in cyberland. I am impressed with the responses and warm welcome!

Thank you all!

Sharon