COR/voting rights

In other words, there is no "correct" BSA policy, or way for this.

I would have the Institutional Head of the Charter Organization (IH), the Charter Organization Representative (COR), and the Committee Chair (CC), sit down together, talk about the issue, and come to an agreement on what works best - together.

My opinion, for the very little it is worth, is that if approved by the IH, it would take very little, only filling in a second adult application, with the Position Code of MC (Committee Member), for the COR to become a registered Committee Member, and make everyone happy that the COR's "voting rights" were "official". The COR would not even have to pay another $15 National registration fee, as he is already registered.

So, why not do it?(This message has been edited by Scoutnut)

It's interesting to see "voting rights" and "official" in here. How would one define an "official vote" by a committee? I would be willing to submit that the committee has no voting "authority" at all. Who gave it to them?

BDPT00

Scoutnut

The COR is a registered position with the unit and is on the charter along with the other leaders and committee members. To make that person a CC or MC for the unit takes just a check on the recharter form, no additional application is necessary. I am the COR/CC for my Venturing crew, as the COR my duties are to represent the interests of the CO to the unit, district, and council, as well as settle issues beyond the purview of the committee, such as removing a leader from the unit. As CC my position is to make sure the committee members are all doing their functions and that the unit leadership have what they need to deliver a great program for the youth, as well as vote in committee, and check in with the units leaders. These are two different positions with distinct and different duties attached to each of them.

The IH is not a registered member of the unit and only rarely actively involved in the unit. He/She has the final say if there is any conflict among the unit leadership and can override the COR if necessary as well as close down a unit if necessary.

Yep, IH is not registered, COR is.

Yep, COR and CC are two very distinctly different positions, as is that of a Committee Member.

A Committee Member can pretty much do what ever is needed for a Committee Member to do.

The Opening Posters Troop is only a few weeks old. I really doubt they want to wait until re-charter to add a position to that of COR. Filling in a new application, no references or fee required, with a note attached for council stating that they are adding a registered position for their COR, would do the trick immediately.

The point here is NOT how BSA recommends a unit committee to be run. It is how this particular Troop, and its Charter Organization, want their unit committee ran.

scoutnut

This troop is required to have a CC designated at charter time, if they want the COR to become the new CC they just have to switch them, NO application is required until recharter time. A COR/CC only gets one membership card from the BSA not two, the COR is the top/primary position and that is what his card will say, I know this from personal experience as a COR/CC for my crew. The charter will have him listed as both, so it really is not necessary to fill in a new app at this time, as I am sure their council will tell them. THAT IS THE POINT!

They do NOT want to replace the CC with the COR.

From what Sheilab posted they want the COR DUAL REGISTERED as a Committee MEMBER (not CC) in order to give him what THEY consider voting rights on their Troop committee.

Yes, they CAN wait until re-charter time, and then simply add the COR as a Committee member. However - they seem to want him registered NOW in order to allow the COR to vote, NOW, at their Troop Committee meetings.

I am sure that if they do not want to have the COR fill out an additional application (don't really see why the opposition to this but whatever), the COR, CC, or even the IH, could contact their Council Registrar and have MC added to the COR's membership.

What they choose to do, and how they choose to go about it, is up to the Troop, and their CO.

scoutnut

That is not what I said, they can have the COR take over the CC duties as well anytime they want without a new app or even informing council unti recharter time. The change will not be reflected until the new charter. Do you understand now?

They do NOT want to replace the CC with the COR.

They want to make the COR a member of the committee.

I understand perfectly that they can make whatever changes they want to their COR's membership now, and not have it reflected on the charter until re-charter time.

The point is what this particular Troop's leaders and CO want to do.

They seem to want to have something in hand, right now, that states that the COR is also a registered member of the committee. This seems to be what they require in order to make them (or at least their CC) comfortable with the COR voting at Troop Committee meetings.

If they are comfortable with simply letting the COR be/act as a committee member, and vote at their Committee meetings, without actually having that reflected on their charter until the charter is renewed, fine. If they are comfortable with letting the COR vote at Troop Committee meetings without adding any other position to his membership, even better.

However, I am pointing out that if they are NOT comfortable with the above two options, they can officially register their COR as a Troop Committee Member, and have it reflected on their charter NOW, with out waiting until re-charter.

Yes, I understand it is not officially necessary. However, it can be done, and it might be something they want to do. Their choice.

I hope that clears up what I have been trying to say.