In addition to the JLT kit put out by BSA, can anyone suggest other resources we can use in training our scouts. In a couple of weeks, we are going to conduct a Leadership Development Conference for our troop. We have sent formal invitations to all scouts 13 and over who are First Class. The event will be held at a conference center in town. Each scout will have a binder provided that is tabbed and organized with the agenda, troop handbook, organization chart, job descriptions and forms. In addition, at the end of the conference, I will ask each scout to complete a Personal Growth Agreement and submit it to me where they outline goals and commitments they want to make for the next year.

In the past, I've used the JLT kit with good results. My problem is that it doesn't go far enough. The kit is fine as far as the overview, team building and basic skills. The council JLT course (of which I support wholeheartedly and have sent many scouts) is also good at doing an intensive job of the same. However, I want to provide more position specific material and problem solving skills for our scouts.

We plan to present scouts with situations and practical problems that they are likely to face in the next year. We will break the scouts into smaller groups to discuss and present a solution to the bigger group. These smaller groups will be facilitated by older scouts (JASM, Eagles) as well as young s (18-21). Any ideas related to topics or format would be appreciated.

I'm also interested in any ideas or resources that could be used to conduct job-specific training with each position would be appreciated as well.

Upon conclusion of our conference, I would be glad to provide a sample packet and materials we used to anyone who is interested.

You can expect new versions of Junior Leader training to come from National in the near future. for now I would use the contents of the new Patrol Leader and Senior Patrol Leader Handbooks along with the book "Leadership and the One-Minute Manager" by Kenneth Blanchard Ph.D.

Blanchard wrote the section of the Handbooks dealing with the styles of leadership. His book will give you strong tools for explaining the four styles to the scouts.

Good Luck,

Bob White

Somewhere in the back corner of your Scout Office, or in the trunk of someone's car or briefcase, etc. There is a video called "Ages and Stages." It is part of the Ethics in Action that used to be a stand alone program, but has since been incorporated into other areas.

There is an excellent hunk of tape at the end that leads Boy Scouts into a scenario where they talk about accepting each other and is a very enlightening training tool. If you email me privately, I have a copy somewhere in the back corner of my office and can give you the number.

DS

Jerry,

Ditto to the other comments. You may find an old video at the scout office about a program planning conferance that could help a little. Depending on your goals, there is training for Troop Guides, and Den Chiefs.

It sounds like your primary goal is "Leadership development. As such, you could borrow a little from Venturing and their youth officer training materials. Exploring used to have some great youth training materials too. Your local OA lodge might have some stuff too.

Good Luck.

Bob H

Jerry

Great idea to run this type of training, and great topic.

In addition to the resources that you find... I would ask the boys themselves to come up with as many scenarios as they can. These will likely come from real life events that THEY have encountered and be easier for them to relate to and focus on.

GOOD LUCK !!!

I'd be interested in getting any info you are willing to share, or a list of resources you used when you get it all compiled -

We have sent some boys to JLT camp - but we have not done any training inside our troop - and after a hazing incident at camp this summer - I think knowledge of troop positions and responsibilities is in order - and especially teamwork training.

if you do get something together - e-mail me at tlaurat7@hotmail.com

In my last troop, we had worn out the TJLT material; that is, most of our experienced Scouts had been through it 3, 4, or even 5 times.

We used the recently published SPL and PL Handbooks to create a supplemental training course. It lasts no longer than TJLT does, uses the two handbooks as course handouts (all attendees get their own copy of whichever handbook is appropriate to their position), they're encouraged to write in them (there are fill-in-the-blank pages in them anyway), and we included games and role-playing activities tied to the various chapters.

I look forward to seeing the revisions to TJLT...

KS