What kind of awards can DEs be eligible for? Obviously it can't be anything that is done as part of the normal job but if a DE goes above and beyond for his district, can he get the District Award of Merit? Can DEs be recognized for conservation efforts in the council with a William T. Hornaday Award? I know about the Professional Training Award but I'm talking more about awards that people normally receive as volunteers. Any help here?

Quality District Award is one that DEs can get, as well as district level volunteers, but most don't know about it.

Chief Scout Executive's Winners' Circle is the one for meeting mid year membership goals. It's something nice. I got a desk clock back in the day.

FOS Achiever is another, but that is done on a regional basis. I got 2 shirts and a hanging clothes bag.

I would say Vigil is a shoe in if you are a lodge staff advisor, but if memory serves that ain't a problem for ya.

DEs can get awards based on both volunteer and professional service, but the awards do dictate what it can be based on.

The Black on white knot Professional Training Award (AKA the Darth Vader Knot) is for becoming a fully trained professional unit serving executive. That one takes 5 years. The Chief Scout Executive's Winners Circle was changed this past year to call it something else, but the name escapes me right now. The mid-year goals have been revamped a little.

Awards of Merit can be given to a professional at the district level based on volunteer service only (that one is a gray area, but it's not all that hard if the volunteers understand how much a DE puts in for both job and love of the program).

Knots for leadership and training (like being a tiger den leader) are possible, as is the Hornaday, but again, it's based upon service as a volunteer, not professional duty.

What he said about the professional training award.

Technically, I believe the DE's can receive the DAM, but I believe it requires special approval and seems to be really, REALLY frowned upon. I get the feeling the idea is thought of so poorly your DE would probably rather you didn't.

Look at the requirements for the Gold (adult) Hornaday. It's basically a conservation lifetime achievement award and only a few are given out nationally every year. Your DE would have to have made incredibly distinguished contributions in the area of conservation, far beyond the scope of his job.

Have you thought about a James E. West Fellowship?

I was told that professionals and former pros are not eligible for either the District Award of Merit or the Silver Beaver for 5 years after they leave the profession. That came up at a staff meeting b/c we had one retired pro still involved, and we had to wait to nominate him.

Pro scouters can qualify for a number of awards within the profession, a couple already have been mentioned, which volunteers can not qualify for. IMO, DE's should not be able to qualify for DAM's or other volunteer awards while still in the profession, even if they are also volunteering, since in my mind it detracts from the efforts of the volunteers in your district. When I was a DE I was also a volunteer Webelos Leader for three years in my church's pack and I never applied for or allowed myself to be nominated for any awards because it just didn't seem right, and IMO would detract from my main focus/purpose in the district.

We used to try and get some award for our DE's but it never seemed to impress them or others much. What we deceided on doing for our DE at the annual awards banquet was to solict all the leaders and volunteers to get a gift certificate of coupons for restaraunts, diners, or even fast food places. Any where he could eat. Some years they would get 100 or so. As much as they are on the road and have to eat out and as little as they get paid it seemed like a nice gesture, cost little or nothing and was appreciated a whole lot more than a pretty ribbon.

I like the idea of gift cards for resteraunts, as they are ont he road alot. I know the only time I really ate in was breakfast and on weekends when I was not working. And even then sometimes I ate breakfast on the road.

Now I have no problems with a pro getting one of the various training awards. I do admit I have mixed emotions on the DAM and SB. One one hand I see where it can be seen as favortism and what not for a retired or former pro to receive an award. But five years does seem like a long time.

Anyway, the retired pro did eventually get the Silver Beaver. Don't know about the DAM though.

The DAM says right on it that it's based on volunteer service, but the SB does state that you have to be out of the profession five years to get it. Our Scout Executive told me, though, that even that is flexible based on the national court of honor's decision.

Well when I went to DE training at National we were told that professional scouting and volunteer scouting are two very distinct and seperate entities within the BSA. We work together to achieve the best quality program for our district, but we each have our own methods in achieving that goal. It was those comments that made me feel that a DE should never try or ask to be given any award created for a volunteer giving their time and talents to the youth. Even if a DE is also a volunteer he/she still should not be eligible for these awards as it sends a wrong message,IMO, to the volunteers.

Yep no one should seek those awards. I know the retired SE who got the Silver Beaver was not expecting it, was in tears when he got it, and recieved a standing ovation at the banquet.

From the stories I heard about him from both pros and volunteers, I wish I would have worked with him.

j hankins

If the volunteers in a district choose to recognize their DE for their service that is one thing, but you advocating that DE's should be eligible for awards designed for the volunteer scouter is just plain wrong, not to mention unethical, in spite of what your SE told you. As a former DE you should know better, we received recognition from National, designed for scouting professionals who are doing an outstanding job. So there is no reason to try to horn in on awards designed for the volunteers and the service they supply to the program.