CSE in favor of coed Scouting?

Almost every day you can read a negative comment on these forums, in one thread or another, about "helicopter" parents. When the precious 11 year-old daughters of America join Scouting, expect a helicopter invasion of apocalyptic proportions.

Of course, if we can get those thousands of helicopters registered and uniformed the coffers of BSA National will be filled to overflowing. :)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SP & wakwib

Don't think for one minute that the BSA is unaware of the potential goldmine with coed scouting and are not working on a plan right now to make it happen. As Campfire and Girl Scouts continue to greatly diminish in numbers where will these kids go? If Mazzucca can figure a way to get the idea past the LDS, giving them an exemption for example, just watch how fast coed scouting becomes a reality. Now a family will be able to sign all their kids up to one organization, fewer meeting nights, fewer rides to activities. Not to mention at least doubling membership and monetary contributions, it is no longer a matter of IF this will happen as much as WHEN it will happen.

I'm not sure I get why it would be hard to get this by the LDS. Just allow units to have the option. That's the way Venturing is set up, and the LDS uses Venturing with only male crews. I find it hard to believe the LDS is the real sticking point here.

We'd have to change the name. Maybe keep it as BSA, but have it be the "Bisexual Scouts of America." Oh, wait, I may have that wrong...

"Bodacious Scouts of America"

"Button-wearing Scouts of America"

Maybe we'd go with "Brave Scouts of America". After all, by declaration, a Scout is brave.

"Scouting USA"; now there is a throwback! Who else remembers that from the past?

Seems to me that it was coined at a time when there was a possible merge with Girl Scouts sometime around 1980, give or take a few years.(This message has been edited by skeptic)

""Scouting USA"; now there is a throwback! Who else remembers that from the past?"

I do!

"Seems to me that it was coined at a time when there was a possible merge with Girl Scouts sometime around 1980, give or take a few years."

Actually, they were talking with them around 1969/70 or so.