Hello everyone. I'm using my husband's account here to ask a question. He has interviewed in person once for a DE position and then a week later via Skype for a second interview since we're several hours away from the council. Now they have invited us to drive back to the council a second time for a dinner meeting with the key volunteers. During one of the phone calls my husband was told to be prepared to accept an offer. They have also invited me and our 9 month old to the dinner because they want to meet us too. It sounds to me like he has already been selected and we're just going to the dinner so that the volunteers can meet him before they start working together. I think he has the position already but he keeps telling me not to get our hopes up. I'm just excited because he's been wanting this position for a while and it would be really good for us. What are your opinions? Does it sound like he already has the job and they just don't want to tell him over the phone?

Seeing how your husband works with volunteers will be a large part of what happens next. The key to success as a professional scouter is working through and inspiring volunteers rather than being a grunt laborer. It's about leadership.

Being a DE is long hours, sometimes more than you'll be prepared to give. It's not easy. Burnout is very common within the first three years. Be prepared for a grueling ride, especially with a little one at home.

My best of luck and prayers for your family.

"(About that dinner - seems very strange to invite one's spouse and children to an interview event, especially with a very young child in tow.)"

That's what I was thinking. Sounds like it's less of an interview event and more of a confirmation of the offer. I'm crossing my fingers but I think he already has it, pending the approval of the volunteers.

As a former pro, I can tell you that if you are invited to something,like a dinner or training conference, the council is serious about his prospects as a DE, and it may be narrowed down to him and another candidate. That was my expereince when I interviewed the first time as I also attended the annual business banquet. Very big deal. Unfortunately the other guy got it, and I ran into him at PDL-1. he had an advantage as he was local, having grown up in the program, going wasy for college and a tour with the army, and coming back. Great guy to be honest.

Second interview was done during a planning conference, they made the offer the last day.

If you and your daughter are also invited, you really need to attend. It is not uncommon with the limited expereince I have to have the wife attend as well. DE job is long hours, lots of time away from family, and can put stress on a marriage. They want you to know what you are getting into. TRUST ME. My wife, who met and dated me while I was a DE, didn't fully understand all that the job entailed, and gave me an ultimatum after 2 months of marriage: her or my job. Yes it can be that stressful

Good luck to you and your husband,and tell your husband, who I believe is SWEETPEA from a certain camp in MS to keep us posted.

Wife of Eagle 2000

Speaking from personal experience when the family is invited to dinner with the council Exec et. al it means one thing they have decided to offer your hubby the job and this dinner gives them the opportunity to meet you and see what kind of family life you guys have. In my case it was myself and my fiancee and they offered me the job in the middle of dinner. Tell you husband congrats, but just be prepared to have him gone much of the time, including weekends, you will need to create a support group for yourself as it will put a strain on the marriage.

Eagle2000 and wife,

Greetings!

You've received some excellent advice already. I would concur with some comments by Eagle92.

I have not been in that position. But as a Scouter, I would like to know that a DE is available to drive, visit, spend long hours Scouting. And specifically, I would also like to know that the spouse supports the job.

I would hate to invest in a DE. Only to have him/her depart in less than a year, due to the job becoming a stresser on the family. I don't expect a DE's spouse to be everywhere in Scouting or to see the spouse at every event. But I hope the spouse fully supports the DE's role in a District.

Regarding your questions. What are your opinions? Does it sound like he already has the job and they just don't want to tell him over the phone?

My opinion. He nearly has the job, but he doesn't have the job yet. Pending the SE and key volunteers meeting with your family, it may be a final confirmation/deal breaker.

Good Luck!

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21_Adv

Wife of E2000,

My bad. One of my former camp staff buddies was on here a few months back talking about possibly becoming a DE. Camp name is SWEATPEA, and I'm not saying how he got the name :)

The camp is in MS, Sweatpea was from LA.

SP,

In retrospect I too was surprised she waited 2 months. She was got ticked off when the council made me cut the honeymoon short to attend a "mandatory" meeting at camp, which only 2 DEs attended (the two working camp), and when they sent me to work at camp the week after the wedding, and then didn't tell the CD or BD I would be there, so there was nothign for me to do except. Luckily I had two nite time meetings scheduled that week, so I ended up staying home 2 nites as I would not get back to camp before midnite.

First, fingers-crossed congratulations to you! Best of luck!

Second, I disagree strongly with Eagle92. I'd feel very creeped out if my wife, fiancee, daughter, etc., were invited to a job interview, no matter how informal the event was or how family-focused the employer was.

You're hiring me, no one else. I'm not going to put my family on display so some boss can decide if he likes our parenting style, or make sure my family background meshes with his.

That approach seems extremely unprofessional to me. I don't care how long the hours are or how tough the job is - if I say my family can handle it, that's my decision, not the employer's.

Actually, it might be a violation of employment law to even make inquiries about someone's marital or family status in the interview process, let alone invite them to an interview event to see if they "pass muster."

Aside from that, and I'm sure your little one is adorable, but c'mon, talk about adding stress to the event! Taking a 9 month old to a dinner meeting/interview/whatever at a nice restaurant with your spouse's (hopefully) future employers is brave.

Eagle2000wife

It really is not as ominious as some are making it sound, it is more likely they want to see how hubby handles himself in an informal social gathering since many contacts he will be making will be in similiar informal settings. In the formal interview a candidate can look good on paper and know the right buzzwords to sound good, but they want to see his social interaction skills in action. You also will be assessed, rightly or wrongly, as to whether or not you will be a strong supporter and asset for your husband. As long as you both watch what you say, avoid politics and religion, and do not drink more than the SE you will do just fine and it will be a pleasant evening.