When was the last time you had contact with your Unit Commisioner?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am Commissioner for one pack.

I saw the Cubmaster at Roundtable last Thursday.

I attended the Pack Committee meeting in January.

I will be attending the Pack Blue and Gold dinner Wednesday.

And I e-mailed the Cubmaster and Pack Committee Chair this evening about using the "Journey to Excellence" evaluation this year, along with some ideas on how to use it that I'll be trying out in my own pack.

saw our UC yesterday at Scouting for Food. Unfortunately for him, he can't get rid of us :) He's been trying to sell his house for over a year now and can not get any buyers. wants to move closer to his grandchildren and be involved in Scouting.

With my pack, I'd visit one den meeting a month (they all meet in one building together) and a committee meeting. At invitation, I'd attend a pack meeting or blue and gold. Phone calls were always welcome from the pack leadership and parents!

With my troop, I'd attend a troop meeting and committee meeting a month, and every 3 months a court of honor.

My crew was every 2 months or so, and phone calls to check in.

I've heard some commissioners say they'll only go if there's food. I've heard others still think that quarterly visits are okay.

Saw her last Thursday at Roundtable and then saw her on Saturday morning at the Pack leadership meeting. But that was because the COR was introducing the New CC to the leadership. Who's the new CC? himself, on an interim basis, until he finds a permanent one.

When I was voted in as the new CM in January, our UC specifically searched me out at RT last month to talk to me about the job, and to offer her support.

Does running into them at dinner at one of the local restaurants count as well?

Not registered to a unit anymore, but the one my son & husband our in see their UC all the time.. But, that is only because he is the UC of just one CO's Pack and Troop, and it is the pack & troop that he was the CC for up until he changed hats to be UC..

Kids are grown up & out, so he does go on as many scouting trips, but he basically ran the Scout breakfast this past Sunday since it has always been something he did.. He is at most the troop meetings and most the committee meetings..

Little changed but the hat.. Don't know though how much extra value it adds to the units most times, as he doesn't add a different insight on how to improve based on a different perspective. But he was instrumental in saving the Pack from going under about a year back.

Unit Commissioners *should* contact a unit at least once a month.

Now, "contact" can come in lots of forms - 1-on-1 meetings at Roundtable, visiting a unit meeting or a unit activity like a CoH or Campout. Seeing them at a Camporee. Phone calls, emails, etc.

Last Saturday, I was at our District Training Day, and had a great opportunity to meet and speak with a number of units and leaders (especially the new LDS leaders who had just received their callings) and, as a District Commissioner, that was a great opportunity.

BTW - I actually will call the unit commissioners in my area if I do not see entries in the "Unit Visit Tracking System" or get emails from them letting me know that they have been in contact with their units.

Was visiting a Pack crossover a few miles down the road last week and saw him. Only way I knew he was ours is because the SM said he was ours. Have seen him at various training and council events but never seem him at a troop function in 4 years.

Was visiting a Pack crossover a few miles down the road last week and saw him. Only way I knew he was ours is because the SM said he was ours. Have seen him at various training and council events but never seem him at a troop function in 4 years.

83Eagle

I experienced the same thing when I was CM several years ago with my vapor-like, UC. Now, I am a UC for a couple Troops, a Crew and a Pack, and now the UC is being utilized more. The UC assigned to my old pack tried to hang on and keep doing (which was nothing) what he was thought he was supposed to be doing, and the old DC let him. The new DC increased the UC staff, helped the liven UC involvement in RT and the units. I believe all the units are better for it and appreciate the "friend to the unit" at more than just recharter time.

Roles the Commissioner Plays

A commissioner plays several roles, including friend, representative, unit "doctor," teacher, and counselor.

The commissioner is a friend of the unit. Of all their roles, this one is the most important. It springs from the attitude, "I care, I am here to help,what can I do for you?"

The commissioner is a representative of the BSA, and your local council, but he's on there for your unit first.

The commissioner is a unit "doctor." When problems arise, and they will even in the best unit, they act quickly. They observe symptoms, diagnose the real ailment, prescribe a remedy, and follow up on the patient. They don't dictate... and waiting till called about a problem is often too late.

The commissioner is a teacher. Where it counts mostas an immediate response to a need to know. That is the best adult learning situation since the lesson is instantly reinforced by practical application of the new knowledge.

The commissioner is a counselor. As a Scouting counselor, they will help units solve their own problems. Everyone can use help from time to time, even experienced leaders.

I usually get a Den meeting, Leader meeting, Committee Meeting, Troop meeting or Crew Meeting in for each unit once a month and log that visit via Unit Visit Tracking.

dg98adams

(This message has been edited by dg98adams)(This message has been edited by dg98adams)

Good question 83Eagle.. I know our District think this is the most important position you could have, and it is very, very important..

My take on it is, they are your link to the council.. If they come from a different unit, or work with different units, they may be able to give you some advice and perspective from an outsider point of view that will give you other options to try, that you did not think about because you were too close to the subject.

If your unit is failing they should try to save it by either helping to mediate issues between warring parties, or find the needed help in adult volunteers by getting some of those parents who will not commit to except to take on some role.. Or will give you ideas on how to increase your membership and run a good recruitment night..

The main thing for me is having a UC who will not slink away at the first sign of trouble, but will roll up their sleeves and help pull you out of trouble..

If you don't have any issues with your unit, then the rest I think is well taken care of if you attend round tables and are open to ideas being passed around.