The York-Adams Area Council recently merged with the Keystone Council in PA. Their temporary name was Keystone York-Adams Area Council, but the "fine" powers that be, decided to name the council "The New Birth of Freedom Council".

What do you-all think of this new name?

Pete

(edited for spelling)(This message has been edited by PeteM)

Do they plan to offer a Lamaze merit badge course ?! :)

Sounds kind of hokey to me, but I'm not in that part of the country. Not sure what part of PA you are in, but couldn't they just name it after the geographical area served (i.e. the southeast PA area council)?

Yeah, maybe if were the Four-Score and Seven Council folks would catch the reference. Now that I mention it, Four-Score and Seven Council rolls off the tounge a lot easier than The New Birth Of Freedom Council.

Yep, It includes Gettysburg. That city is located in Adams county in PA.

It still doesn't sound like much of a Boy Scout council name, does it?

I just got word from our District rep about the name. I mean they could have called it the South-Central district. That would have made more sense that this one.

Pete, it sounds like the New Name Committee tried too hard to be inclusive, visionary, purposeful, strategic, etc. The result? It looks like both councils' lineage is obscured.

I'll bet you a cup of coffee they will change it to something clearer within a year.

I really thought we should have just stayed with Keystone Council, which really fits more, since Pennsylvania is the Keystone State, and the Keystone is a very recognizable symbol. It's just a great name for a council. Just as United and Continental airlines are going to merge, and yet chose to use the name "United Airlines" sometimes the best name is one you already have.

I'm not sure what happened with this naming. First, they held a contest. However, the units weren't given a vote in this contest. Then they said they were going to announce the new name at our program launch in June. But when it came time to announce it, instead, they said that they had picked a name, but the name went all the way to National and was disapproved because it sounded too much like another name. Now, I am not sure if this New Birth of Freedom name was the one that was first disapproved, or if it was one of the other choices submitted for the contest, or if it was just some entirely new name that someone came up with.

It would have been nice if the units did have a say, maybe one vote each. Because so far, everyone I've talked to about the new name, has not been in favor of it.