Are Troops restricted to a Council?

Hi,

Just a thought, recharter is coming up, and another ASM joked that he wished we could recharter with a different Council because of all the friction between us and all the aspects of District and Council. FYI, the SM and CC also would like to change if we could. We are a located near the state line "border" between Councils and the other Council appears to be alot more functional. I have taken the position that we cannot pick and choose Councils, but wish to hear other members takes on the subject.

scoutldr has the correct answer

Do you really think it would be better?

The council I'm in won't return a phone call until the next day. Many times they ignore problems instead of solving them.

The council north of us is just as bad. We love to use a facility they own for NRA functions, they rarely return a phone call.

I don't think the grass is greener on the other side.

Correct info has been posted. Also the "grass is greener" saying is not always true. My district borders 2 councils, and I've heard of units that wish join oneof the two. BUT we have folks from those 2 councils using our camping faciltiies on a regular basis, heck one district used our camp for their camporoee!

I would hope you could first try to resolve outstanding issues without leaving a council. Moving to another council is certainly not something you can do quietly and is very sensitive as it involves a professional loosing a unit. The number of units chartered reflects upon their career performance. The receiving council likewise may want to avoid getting involved.

It is my understanding the chartering organization needs to physically be located in the council but does not need to be your regular meeting location. I believe you cannot simply "transfer a unit". You would need to establish a new unit in the new council and complete a "Transfer Form" for each youth and leader.

Have you asked your COR to carry your water at District and Council business meetings?

The charter belongs to the licensee of record... the church, civic group, or business that sponsors Scouting. The unit is the consequence of the license. Have a friendly cup of coffee with your COR. Share your concerns.

Thanks all,

All good points. Yes, the grass is not always greener on the other side, we just wish for a more boy oriented District. The Council seems disorganized and only concerned about raising more money.

There are already a couple of Troops locally who do not "play" with any District events, we are going to reach out to them to organize some multi Troop events.

(This message has been edited by vigilnavycpo)(This message has been edited by vigilnavycpo)

Yes, troops are restricted to a council - you need to belong to one.

No, you don't have to change your geographical location nor your Charter Organization to belong to a new Council.

My CO & troop are going nowhere but we will have a new council shortly. I'd tell you the name but it has not been decided just yet.

:)

For a while my council created a new district and I was the District Commissioner, but was dissolved when cash got short in the council. We bordered on the south with another council. We had one unit in my district whose CO was the America Legion Post about 20 blocks south of county/district line. They meet at school that was 30 blocks north of the line and had originally been a Friends of CO but in a council drive to get rid of them had found the American Legion. When there was talk of Venture Crew forming with that CO, the DE (who had been a DE in our council) from the other council tried to get them switched (pack and troop).

I got them to back off, when I pointed out to them that they had pack in a friends of charter, 200 yards in my district. The history behind that all these units were in the same School District, but when this unit in the elementary school had been formed 20+ years ago when cubs coming from a splitting of a school so, all the parents had come from the unit in the old school and were associated with the other council.

The moral to this mess is that all things will pass, what is happening in your council/district will change with a new SE or DE, District chair/commissioner and will change also in where you think you would like to go.