ADvice for a new Unit Commissioner

I've signed on as a Unit Commissioner in my district, so to prepare, I've been reading a lot of the message threads here regarding UCs. I've seen a LOT of messages where people either didn't know who their UC was because they never showed up, or they had problems with how their UC did things. I've seen a lot about how UCs are considered spies for the district, etc.

I don't want to be seen in that light. My view on being a UC is that while I'm working "for the district", I'm really working for the units that I serve. I'm there to help them, to provide them with whatever assistance they need to provide a good quality program for the boys.

So, as many of you are unit leaders in one form or another, what advice would you have for a new Unit Commissioner? If I were assigned as your UC, what would you look for from me? What could I do that would make your job easier? What are some good Dos and Don't as far as your concerned?

I want to be good at my job, because if I do my job well, the program, and thus the boys, benefits. And that's what it's all about.

So any advice, ideas, hints, tips, tricks, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Here's how I started as UC for 2 Troops and 1 pack.

Call/email when it's good to stop by and review the mid-year roster.

I asked if they knew of any updates.

For the pack, I was told to watch for the Webelos that will cross over, and become Boy Scouts so they don't show up as "dual registered".

I plan to drop off info from Round Table (if they did not attend) and any other forms I pickup.

Other than that, just asking if they need anything I can help them with.(This message has been edited by dg98adams)

One reason that UC are seen as "spies" is because they show up with a "Unit Health Checklist" evaluation form which is turned in to the District. I attended a session on UC at the last UoS and they told us that the form should be "filled out in the car after you leave the unit" so they don't think you're a spy there to "inspect" them. Sorry...but that doesn't pass the "duck test".

Not agreeing nor disagreeing with the process...just giving an observation as to why that perception exists.

My units love me. I get invited to everything. From campouts to Eagle COHs.

Yeah, I do keep track of them on the Health reports, but it's basically an assessment to find out how the units are doing implementing the methods, and to have a way to track whether they are improving or declining in those areas over time.

But when I'm at a meeting, I'm there for them 100%.

Kudos for your desire to be a good UC!

My suggestions:

1) Get trained. I'm talking about commissioner training, fast-start and basic.

2) Call in advance and show up at troop and committee meetings.

3) Observe and listen first, then offer help both general and specific.

Wow I wish you were my UC. My only UC contact since 1994 has been to find out who the person is, convince them that they are the UC, and deliver a copy of my annual plan to them, because the planning process says that I should.

Just to add a little to or emphasise what others are saying:

1) Find out wht Units you are going to be Commissioning for. (Not allways just Troops or just Packs, you may have a mixture of ALL.)

2) Ensure you understand the purpose of each Unit Type you are Commisioning for.

3) You do NOT have to be the person that "knows all about the program" but you should know how to find the information for the Unit.

4) Visit the Unit(s) often. Not just when they need help. When the Unit knows you as a friend and helper vice a "Corporate Spy", they tend to ask what your job is instead of guessing. Offer to help at the Pinewood Derby or the Camporee...

5) Be sure to recognise people at Roundtable (like awarding Knots/Keys) and sing the praises of your Units in public.

Too often, Units only see their UC when problems have become too great for them to handle. Better to see the UC too often than not often enough.

Just my $0.02.

YiS,

Rick

Get trained!

There is Commissioner Fast Start online and UC training should be offered by your District Commissioner.

Purchase the Commissioner manuals and read thru them.

Offer helpful suggestions sparingly.

Do not come across as being the only one who knows anything or the unit savior.

Get to know your DE.

Get to know your DC, and your specific ADC.

In regards to training, it can also be helpful to take any of the online trainings offered for unit positions associated with your assigned unit types.

For example, one of the first trainings I took after becoming a UC was the committee training, because I had no experience in that area. You can learn enough to be dangerous, or you can learn enough to know you don't know everything. :)

Training is something I'm definitely going after. I'm having my first district commissioners meeting this week, and I'll find out what unit(s) I'm assigned to.

I'm involved in my son's pack and am on the pack committee, so I kind of have an idea of what's going on there. I have taken all of the online training on myscouting.org for cubs, troop, and venture to at least give me an idea on what I need to know there.

Unfortunately, roundtable meets the same night as my son's den meetings, so I'm going to have to miss one or the other on occasion.

As already said, training, training, and more training.

Listen. Lots. Then, take the concerns back to your ADC. If you don't have several solutions, he'll have a lot in a hurry.

Model a cheerleader for the program folks and the committee folks. Thank them, often. Help them see their importance to the program.

You said it best...the UC works for the troop.

As a UC, I assure them I'll do whatever it takes to help them succeed. At my first meeting, when SM introduces me, I explain to the scouts that I'm there to help their troop leaders, which helps their troop.

Every couple months I'll go camping with them. I make sure I wash dishes, make coffee, chop wood, go hiking and generally make myself useful. Shooting the breeze around the campfire beats the perfunctory once-a-month meeting deal.

Went to summer camp for the last two nights of their session.

If they have a question, I run it up the flag pole to the district or council.

I made it clear that they--at the unit level--are the most important leaders in scouting.

Training is important. Listening and being an advocate for their cause is just as critical...if you have to provide constructive feedback, they are more open.

Your focus on the unit is correct...it is very easy to become a district/council creature. Good folks at district and council, but real scouting is happening in the units.

I wish you all the best.

Talk to the unit leaders and ask them how you can help.

Know the "knot" requirements and see that deserving leaders get recognized - at their unit and at Roundtables.

Answer phone calls and e-mails from your units.

Get them to training (you first).

Be a sounding board for the stressed out leader before telling them "how to fix" it.

Follow-up - especially in areas they've asked for help with.

Make a friend so you can vent; you'll need to.

Shilue,

Greetings!

You've received some excellent advice already.

You may visit a troop or pack that is at the top of their game, or you may visit a unit that is going thru a slump. Some people call it "Peaks and Valleys" or "Ebb and Flow".

Look over both the Commissioners worksheet and Unit Self Assessment. You may want to email both of them to the unit leaders that you will be visiting.

I would sum it up to two (maybe three) major categories and branch from there.

Is their unit safe?

Is there a program?

- Are boys advancing?

On arrival, I would bring old generic patches, maybe wooden nickels (with your likeness on them), possibly candy bars for the best patrol or den. Maybe BSA pens for the leaders and possibly a better token for the Cubmaster or Scoutmaster (since they should be signing requirements).

Ask them if they plan to attend training, and bring training registration sheets for your district and the neighboring districts. Ask if they are advancing? Do they have a visual advancement board? Ask if they are participating in all the available programs? Are they registered for Summer Camp/Summer Day Camp or Fall/Spring Camporee? Are they selling popcorn (or other council/unit fundraiser)? Are they participating in 100th year celebrations? Are they filing tour permits? Bring extra flyers, incentives handouts and etc for each program that you mention.

They may be doing it all.. They may be selective and doing their best.. But it doesn't hurt to ask, "Hey, are you going to be out there next weekend?". As a mature adult and experience Scouter, you've been selected to be a Commissioner. You will know when to encourage and when to back off, depending on the strengths and weaknesses of the unit.

Finally. The jobs is not over till the paperwork is done. Learn the myscouting.org Commissioners reporting procedures, and let the DC and DE know about the results of your visits.

Have fun and Congrats!

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv