Is anybody else seeing thi$ ?

Since the amount is less than five dollars I don't know if you want make enemies at the council by pushing too hard, I agree it was wrong if they intentionally did this rather than it being a clerical error. I also agree with others that you either have the cash or council credit card in hand before you buy anything for the council, they know better and so should the volunteers. I however do not see this as some kind of devious plot on the part of council to skirt tax law, that makes no sense business wise or ethically, and those here advocating that need to get a good dose of reality.

This policy is common in all the sales tax exempt groups I work with (PTA, church, Scouts), at least where I am from in Texas. There is a paper cpopy of the state tax-exempt certifcate and then a form that I have to hand in at the time of purchase if the tax is not going to be charged. if i don't have the form, then I will take the hit for the taxes i paid. There is nothing underhanded about it and the organizations won't get anything back from the state for not reimbursing me. On the other hand, if the merchant does not charge me tax and does not get the forms and copy of the tax exempt certificate, then they will have to pay the state for the tax owed.

Most organiztions state the reimbursement policy at some point during their training and I try to remember to tell newbies about it and have enough copies of the proper forms if new people have to go out to buy something. Obviously your council should have been clearer about their policy and that is the angle I would work with them on, but it is sort of unreasonable to expect the council to continue to take a bit for all the sales taxes people incur. That definitely IS FOS funds wasted.

i dont know if its a donation, but sales tax is not reimbursible. The next time, or rightnow, u need to get a copy of the tax exemption form. They dont have to reimburse you and you didnt make a donation because the store has your money, not the council

• 2 weeks later...