Anyone get hit up by their DE for a second FOS presentation this year?

Well the "preacher" must still think there's money to be tapped...

The Pack meeting is tomorrow night and guess who called me today on my lunch hour? DE wanted to know if the pack meeting was still tomorrow... I told him yes. He asked about either him doing (or having me do) another FOS pitch.

I told him as nicely as I could that I didn't think it was a good idea. We had an FOS pitch at the B&G, and while we netted less than last year, our unit still gave a good turn out. Additioanlly, I mentioned that 3 families that I know of in the unit had lost jobs in the past month (one family both mom and dad got laid-off within 1 mo of each other). I also reminded our DE that our unit popcorn sales grossed over 20K last fall and a full 1/3 of that was already given to the council as their cut. I relayed to him that a few parents had expressed concerns to me (3 have, which is the truth) that our unit has already given a good chunk to council via their cut of popcorn funds and WHY should we need to contribute more when we already did so much w/ popcorn. Hard to argue with that. I've had at least one parent tell me if they get hit up again - they will leave scouting! I told DE this as well.

He asked if he could at least drop off some FOS flyers and pledge cards at my house and would I make sure people knew the campaign was still ongoing if they hadn't had a chance to give yet. I told him O.K. thinking it would get the issue over with....

I get home tonight, he didn't frop off the flyers. Now I'm very nervous that he'll make a showing at the pack meeting tomorrow night. I've spoken with the CC (I'm the CM) and both of us agree that if he shows, we'll take the pledge cards, but he doesn't get a time slot in our program. I'm not looking forward to that conversation and I hope he doesn't decide to "drop in".

I understand these folks are under a LOT of pressure to get pledges and this is a down year, but they must understand that I can't go asking for money TWICE to people who have lost their jobs in the past 2-3 months. I really feel like we're being strong armed, but I don't know if making the issue known to council will do anything about it, help the situation, or inflame the situation.

Any thoughts?

Your DE is probably getting strong-armed and told by his boss that he WILL make an appearance at your meeting, if he expects to stay in his job.

So, if he shows up, send your CC out in the hall/outside to have another friendly chat while you, the CM, hold your pack meeting. At that point I think the CC might want to ask point blank whether the pressure from on high is the reason the DE showed up after being asked not to. Nicely put the cards out on the table where everybody can see them. If the answer is yes then at least you all can be sympathetic.

If the answer is no then you push a little harder - why did he show up then? Perhaps he needs to learn some people skills. From what you wrote, he was clearly not invited. Time to be a little bit blunt.

Either way, it is your program and I don't think you are obligated to give him more time on your agenda. You could offer to leave the flyers on a table by the door and mention that FOS is continuing if anybody is interested. No harm in that and if the boss is pressing the DE, at least the DE can say he was there and distributed the literature.

What if you sent him an email, copied to his boss either the Dir. Field Svcs. or the Scout Exec., in which you go through all the contacts he's made with . "Thank you for your call last night, and the night before and the email the day before that ...." Say you appreciate that the council's under a lot of pressure to raise money and you understand the need for the mutiple contacts. BUT .... and then lay out why you're not going to have another presentation.

Hopefully that gets him off the hook with his boss and puts and end to the discussion. If they persist after that you're just gonna have to get side-ways with 'em.

I don't think there's any need to send an e-mail to his bosses, unless he shows up uninvited and makes an ass of himself. My guess is that Lisabob hit the target - he's getting mucho pressure from above, and doing everything he can. Not that I'm saying he's right, but it's hard to blame him for trying to do his best.

Yes, we had the same thing happen. We had to fairly firmly tell them no. We did put out the extra FOS brochures at the last pack meeting, but I don't think anyone picked one up. We had our FOS pitch at the B&G and I personally thought it was horrible timing. I think it would have gone over better at a typical pack meeting. At B&G we're there to celebrate the birthday of scouting, not get hit up for money.