What is the age of a ASM to be able to do a SMC

Sorry, but why is the CAC making you do a SMC & BOR???

If he's unhappy with the dad, then he should support what you've done, as the dad is going around the troop. Making you do a SMC/BOR just seems to permit this going on.

Were I the CAC, I'd tell the dad to follow protocol, and leave it to the units to handle SMCs & BOR. The boy needs to come to the unit to get those if he wants to advance.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've stayed quiet on this one, but if as the SM you do the SMC, I see two likely outcomes. One, you refuse to sign off the "active" section, therefore no BOR should take place (or it should be done without that requirement completed), and/or you sign of the SMC as completed, but do not give a favorable recomendation to the BOR.

I know it has already been discussed and it is pointless to say, but I see no reason or authority for the district to convene or conduct a Eagle Palm BOR.

A very unfortunate situation for you to be stuck in. I hope things do work themselves out.

emb021

the CAC isnt going to let the last BOR fly

if the Scout wants his smc & bor he has to go with the troop and the cac will be therefor this one.

trying not to punish the scout by holding the palm that he has the merit badges for.

the father is the one to blame here for finding the back doors not the scout im sure if your dad told you this is what your going to do you would do it

Hi All

well i am going to set up a SMC and BOR.

make sure i have the place, time, and committee set up.

then call the Scout and let him know that he is to be there for this if he cant make it i will set it up for the next month.

i will not go out of my was to make special meetings just for him or his dad anymore.

on the 3/18/08 i wonder if he will show up?

what do you guys think (Y or N0)

Like the old man said when asked "boxers or briefs". Depends.

I suspect that Daddy's first reaction will be to call his contact at council and demand to know why the h*ll you are calling him to set this up, he thought it was all arranged that golden boy would have his BORs at at the district level etc. The answer to your question depends on whether council sticks to its guns in the face of Daddy's tirade. If they do then I think the boy will show. If they cave, well that is another story. I always want to believe in the best in people so I would vote a somewhat hesitant "Yes".

Good luck.

Hal

well the council advancement chair is the one telling me to redo so i dont thing council will or could have anything to say.

The dad is a guy that more then likley will call nationakl as soon as he finds out

then they will have to call the CAC and sort it out

Hi All

Ok here is how its going.

The father called national and talked to everyone that would listen and called the council and talked to everyone there also.

And he tried to take the council advancement Chair on by calling national but I dont know what came of that or how it ended up.

I got in touch with the scout and set up his SMC & BOR told him the date and time he told me he had to check his calendar and will let me know.

I told him I would hold on while he checked that took about 5 minutes he came back and said that that date was not going to work for his so I said well you can come the last Monday of the month and do your SMC and the first Monday of the month for his BOR.

His statement to me was theres too much trouble in the troop and that he just doesnt want to do palms anymore

I asked if I could have it in writing he told me yes also did you tell your father and he said yes.

He stated that all he wants to do is go camping I told him thats fine with me.

So thats how it all ended!

Thanks everyone for your help.

Sounds like the best outcome for everyone ('cept Dad from hell). You and the council maintained advancement standards and the scout decided what was important to him in scouting. The moment that he explained that to Dad was probably a huge moment of personal growth. Hope he keeps up with the camping and has a good time.

You did well.

Hal