What is the age of a ASM to be able to do a SMC

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok let me ask you this.

you know how a Scout turns 18 and want to be a leader so the fill out the applacation then they go away to school and say that they will come in for meetings on break you dont see them for about 18 months if you ever see them again but there parent is still active in the troop and ask to keep them on the charter so not to make waves you keep them on.

Can inactive ASM do a SMC?

I guess I'm getting the real problem.

If he's registered, then he's an ASM. If he's not active, that's between him and the SM and Committee.

If the SM lets him to SM conferences, then he can. If not, then not.

They are "Scoutmaster's conferences" The SM decides who does them. When I was an SM, I did them. No one else.

well i took over as SM in Aug.

and like i have said i havent seen this so called leader since he turned 18 hes in a different state going to school and i dont allow the 2 ASM that i have in my troop to do MSC i do them.

i have a roge leader that is useing the charter to go around the troop to get his inactive son his eagle palms with out useing the troop for anything but the charter.

so he finds this ASM that comes home once a month and is now asking him to sign off on the SMC.

i just need to know if this is somthing they can do?

they do all BOR with district and now doing SMC with someone that hasint been around for 18 months.

i dont think what i say matters i think that if hes on the charter as a ASM he can get away with it.

thats why i just need to see if i can find somthing in writing that says if there is an age or not.

i think if the kid lives to far to come to meetings and cant make it to the meetings dosint need us for SMC or BOR then why recharter this scout.................

Well, I'm not sure the ASM is the problem, is he?

The dad is the problem. And you can't get a palm without "being active in the troop for x months".

You can require the scout's smc to be with you. You and the troop committee can tell the district that the scout has not completed the requirements.

You can also tell the dad to knock it off.

jim

the problem is the a leader is finding the back doors to getting around the SMC and doing the BOR with the district and not the troop.

i have the same question is there somwhere that shows the age of a ASM for doing the a SMC i think i have read it somewhere i just cant think of where.

i did see the Scout and the father on saturday the scout couldint even look me in the face or say hello after i did but thats ok but the father did tell me that he cant make it to any meeting he dosent have a ride so he wont be there.

well i cant help it that he lives 40 min or more away.

i guess what im fed up with is that the district is letting this go on even though i have voiced my views about this BOR and SMC and nothing is being done to stop it.

the council is to be there for support to the troop not to help show scouts how to cheat and find loop holes like a ASM that hasint been to a meeting in 18 months or more and not having anything to do with the troop (SMC-BOR or meetings)

Yes im ticked off

so i am looking for what i can do as a SM!!!!!

Nike

yes but the scout isnt living the Scout law like

Trustworthy, Loyal,Obedient

and i mean Obedient by following the rules

A Scout is:

Trustworthy, Loyal,Helpful,Friendly,Courteous, Kind,Obedient,

Cheerful,Thrifty,Brave,Clean and Reverent.

As we have discussed here before, BSA has defined "active" = "registered". So that's a moot point if you are keeping him on the rolls.

To get a Palm, you need a SMC. The SM controls who does them and who signs them off. Period.

You also need a BOR. The troop committee chair controls that...NOT the district. IF the district is interfering in troop business, then give the District Key 3 a call and politely tell them to butt out.

You also need a signed Advancement Report signed by the Troop CC and other BOR members that the advancement has been completed. Give the Council Registrar a call (or send a letter) saying that ANY advancement report for your troop signed by anyone other than (list the names) is NOT valid and is not to be entered into Scoutnet.

Make sure your COR and CC are on board with you before doing any of this. If they refuse, then you have a career decision to make.

http://www.scouting.org/boyscouts/trainingmodules/scoutmaster%20conference%20training.aspx has some good information on delegating conferences to assistant Scoutmasters, stating that it might be done in larger troops for lower ranks and not for Star, Life, or Eagle in any troop.

That shows the BSA's stance that it should only be the Scoutmaster doing the conference.

Your Scout couldn't look you in the eye. He is guilty. He knows what he is doing is wrong. He may even be repentent, but what is going on is at his father's behest. If a Scout has to disappoint or disobey his parent or he SM, who is he going to pick. Unless SM and Dad are the same, probably the SM.

Your problem is a parent. Your secondary problem is that you do not have anyone from District in your Corner and you may or may not have alerted Council to this.

Call your Council Registrar and Advancement Chair about the paperwork and ask who is signing since no one from your troop is.

If you really want to make a point, get with your CC IH and COR and disenroll the Scout. HIs father has already stated he will no longer be participating in troop activiites. Make sure you send the letter registered with return receipt.

You have been given lots of options. Please consider them and let us know how it turns out.

I would also suggest talking to all your ASMs and telling them that they are not to hold Scoutmaster's Conferences without your specific direction. It is yours to delegate. This arms the young ASM with the response, when approached by a pushy parent, with the response,"I am not authorized to conduct an SMC; you have to talk to Mr. Maynard." If an ASM holds an SMC against your instructions then you should talk to the CC about removing the ASM from the troop.

Hal