The former pros here will chime in, but there is a series of training courses that new DEs have to go to Irving for, at the Council's expense. Not sure about the salaries, but considering the hours they are expected to put in, it's not much.

I don't know the current process, but when I was a pro it took approx three months from hire before going to Professional Development Level 1 (PDL1)for 2 weeks. During the three months you are supposed to undergo Cub Scout Basic Leader Training, SM Fundamentals, and Explorer Basic Leader training (I told yo it's been a while)If you hadn't taken those three courses you either couldn't go (SMF since an overnite was required) or you had to take them at PDL1 in your spare time (basically the weekend you were off) I lucked out in that All I needed was CSBLT as I did the other two as a volunteer, so I was able tyo get it doen in the three month frame. You were not offically a DE until After PDL1, up until that time you were a " Executive Trainee" and you didn't get your full pay until after PDL1. PDL1 basically covered all the basic of runnign a district: recruiting committee members, running FOS dinners, etc.

If your council had the budget, 12 months after PDL1 you went to a week long PDL 2 course. Don't remember the agenda as my council was having some budget issues. Long story short, my PDL2 course was canceled by my council a week before I was supposed to leave. It's important to make PDL2 and PDL3, the third year's course,because promotions are based upon the training completed as well as performance. So you miss training, it puts you back in the scheme of things.(This message has been edited by eagle92)

When I was at philmont this summer at ptc, there were some pros there, I believe they were in pld1. Some DEs take it at Sea Base too. My DE told me of another DE that took it at a hotel in its confrence room..

There is even a Professional Soucter Training Award.

Click,

Unless things changed, those at PTC were at PDL2. It used to be that ALL PDL1 courses were in Irving so that the top execs in different areas oriented the new hires. Plus you also toured the HQ building, at talked to the benefits folks, etc, unless you were "THE MAN."

I can't remember his name, but his nickname was "THE MAN." This guy was a "retread" in that he started out as a DE moved up to FD or DFS, then went to work for the United Way, where he became a big wig and retired. Along the way he knew and worked with a bunch of the national staff while they were SEs. One of his freinds talked him out of retirement to be an endowment director for his metro council. He got the nickname "THE MAN" when he got pulled out of class to talk to his SE (there really is not supposed to be any contact during the period so you can focus on learning), and was told that the $500K endowment deal he had been working on was completed while he was in training. Also it seemed as if 2/3 of the executive staff who came in for presentations knew him. And When it came time to tour HQ, this guy said see ya, I have a meeting with the finance folks and skipped out the entire day at HQ. Great guy to talk to.

• 2 weeks later...

Basically today all new hires for Executive (professional slots) attend PDL1 within three months of hire. This is two weeks in Texas. When I went through in 2007 it was different than it is now. The decided to revamp the program to make the process more responsive to what actually happens in the field. The team leader for the Center for Professional Development is a great guy and he was really a driving force in this redesign.

PDL2 is attended 12 or more months after PDL1 and its major focus is on volunteer recruiting, team building and finance. There is a project required for this class that you must work with your field supervisor on prior to attending the class. This class is delivered regionally. In the northeast we attend at the Tuscarora Inn and Convention Center in Portland, Pennsylvania. You may also attend a session at Philmont or Sea Base, but most councils will not pay for your travel to these locations.

PDL3, which I have not yet attended, is again in Texas. This is a one week training course that is focused career development, sales marketing, finance and membership management. This class is usually attended after 30 to 36 months of employment with a local council. Technically to attend this class you must be promotable to a position of Senior DE or higher.

Once an Executive (Professional)completes PDL3 they are considered to be trained for their position. After that time you can earn the Professional Training Knot by attending Woody Badge or Camp School for a Administrative position (only one counts for the knot), Take one advanced leadership course from the center for Professional Development and one additional 15 credit course that applies to your job. A professional may apply for and receive the Professional Training Knot after they have completed these classes and 4 years of professional tenure.

The purpose of the Professional Training Knot is to give Professional Scouters a training goal and standard that they can follow in their career. It is important that we are just as committed to training as the volunteers are. It is also a way for professionals to show volunteers that they too have a program and path to follow for training in their registered position.

I am sure I missed some stuff and probably got some stuff wrong, but that is the basics as I seem them some 27 months into my tenure.

Aquatic,

I am not a camp school guy, so I could not tell you what class would qualify you. I think Aquatics, COPE, Admin. Anything that is a week long course, but don't take my word, I have never been to Camp School. Also you would have to do those classes while a professional. They will not count stuff outside of your professional tenure.

There is also a Master's Degree program offerred through Murray State University. That program will give you Master's Degree Credit for PDL1,2 and 3.

SDE