Who is Who in District and Council?

Beavah

I truly believe what you state is how it should be, but the reality is thats just not how it works in the scouting world. Another way to put it maybe would be the SE is supposed to serve the best interests of the council and its board , and at the same time National expects him to keep those interests in line with the direction Irving TX wants them to go and to keep that board in line with National goals and policies. If the SE fails to do that he can forget about any chance that his next move will be to a bigger council or to National office, since National is the one who controls his future. So again Beavah I say to you who do you think REALLY is in control, no matter what it may say on paper?

Beavah and BadenP,

In many ways, you are both correct and you make good points.

Normally, if negative personnel discussions are occurring concerning a Scout Executive, they are initiated by the local council and concurred in by the Region.

I have seen it happen the other way where the Region wants something changed and the local council says "We're really happy with our Scout Executive. We want to keep things just the way that they are."

One of the most painful things comes if the Region/National wants something to happen and the local council quite pointedly tells the Scout Executive "We want something else to happen." The Scout Executive can do his best to pursuade but ultimately, he can be in an extremely difficult and untenable position. I have seen that and it is an extremely difficult, no win position for the SE.