Yes, it is yearly recharter time in my district. We have recently been changed to recharter at the same time as the entire council in December. So, I went to the roundtable, picked up our packet, and received instructions on "Internet Rechartering." I have done recharter for the past 10 years, so it was no more than a refresher for me. We were informed that any adult leader that were registered before background checks became mandatory, and had not submitted their SS number, would be identified on our recharter report with 3 *** at the end of their name. We are supposed to have these adults fill out new applications so the SS number will be there, if they wish to continue with Scouting. Since everything is now internet based through ScoutNet, when I returned home, I logged in and printed our report. All of the adults that had not submitted their SS numbers were gone, and even some of my newer adults were not listed. I can understand the more experienced ones missing, but the newer ones, I don't think so. I even found some of the newer one's applications, and SS numbers are present there (on the carbon copies, there is a dark field where this info is, but I make see where the numbers were written in, but can't make them out; pretty good SS number protection).

Editorial comment: I thought the BSA wanted to increase their adult numbers? Why all of the fuss about back ground checks for long tenured adults? I fall into that category, and did submit my info in. One of my other adults has not submitted his in, 37 years as an adult leader, District Award of Merit recipient & Silver Beaver. How can Scouting not recognize that someone with that long of tenure be asked to submit their SS number for a background check when they have been involved for that many years? End Editorial

I will be contacting my DC to find out what is going on. Also, I wanted to share this with everyone else so they can plan accordingly if they may have some long tenured adults on their rosters that may not have submitted their SS numbers.

A humorous side note. BSA National President, John Gottschalk, is from my Council. He is a great man and a dedicated Scouter. I recently received a list of volunteers in our Council that had not submitted their SSN# and needed to re-register. I skimmed the list and burst out laughing when Mr. Gottschalk's came to my attention. Somehow I think our Council and National will work it out.