• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark:

If by the central question, you meant the original one that started the thread, I have now read it and believe I understand.

I don't have the answer in front of me, but the driving and driver qualifiacations are on the Tour Permit. They are very clear. If you chose to not register the 18 year old and he drives another, they are under whatever coverage your personal insurance or the dirver has. It would be outside BSA coverage.

Basically if you want BSA coverage you have to follow BSA rules. However, I'm on vacation and don't happen to have Tour Permits on file at home. So I'm not sure off hand what those rules specifically are.

Sorry I wasn't able to be of more assistance.

Dave

When I have been on camp staff we would not have allowed a non registered adult to spend the night without being a parent. Your son needs to be registered to be there. Now there has always been a little confusion when a scout ages out. My understanding is that he needs to fill out a adult application but not pay another fee for that year. There is another thought, register him in a crew.

I know at Scout Camps when youth turn 18 during the season they must move from youth (under 18) housing to adult (over 18) housing. So YP policy should be followed on the trip to camp. Would anything happen if it were not? I dont know but my guess would be nothing bad would happen, YP is in place to protect the youth and the adult leaders in that small parentage (Im sure much less than 1%) of cases were a youth is at risk. But I put my seat beat every time I get into the car. In fifty one years of life I have only been in three or four car accidents and the only time I ended up in the hospital was last November. Then I was hit as I was getting in to a car at the side of the road.