Leader application problem

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gern,

The last two years, my Council's staff app, for both paid and volunteer staff, has expressly required consent for a credit check as a condition of service.

Granted, that's a slightly different beast than a new Scouter signing up...

Now, "are we there yet?"

Hey, I declared Bankruptcy two years ago and haven't heard a thing from the Council office unless its if I can help with a Council Event, hold Venturing Training or staff a Powderhorn course.

Many things can happen to force a bankruptcy,

Ed,

what credit criteria would BSA apply to deny an application? If they don't have one, why do the check?

It they really want to be thorough, why not do a medical history check too? Wouldn't we want the most physically fit to take our youth into the wilds?

Gern,

Our leaders taking Council Contingent Crews to BSA HA bases have to, in advance of accepting the assignment, meet the Philmont standards, or they are not selected as leaders.

I guess we're not there yet...

Gern, since I am in the 40+ club, I need a physcial every year prior to going to summer camp. My physician wanted to know if I would be doing anything strenuous and I said no,it wqs just summer camp but what if I was going to like Philmont and he said he would want to get a stress test first before he would clear me.

I am not sure what hurt more, being told I would have to pass a stress test or the "Male procedue" I had to undergo as part of the physical.

Then again, perhaps being a moderator on this site constitutes a stress test, you know

Your a troll

No You are

Am not you are

Nyah Nyah Nyah

Ed is not a troll

And that is all I have to say about that

From Acid - " I know you can go to your local police department and have your fingerprints taken. The prints can be then used to run a check of which I assume based on your post, you can be granted a "pass" that the BSA will accept? Is this your interpretation? If so, this is a real viable alternative."

NO - I did NOT state you could do your OWN outside background check!

What I DID say was BSA National MIGHT except one done as a condition of EMPLOYMENT with the Government or Law Enforcement. No "interpretaion" needed.

Since you are not employed by either, that is not an option for you.

Acid - Was a BSA background check run by your former council in NY? What council were you with?

Thanks ScoutNut - very clear and maybe this will be useful to some folks.

I am not sure whether a background check was performed or not when I was with the Greater Niagara Frontier Council. My wife and I elected not to fill in our SSN on the application and we received a phone call from the local council. After telling our story, they said they would appeal to the National Council. About 4 days later we were informed that our applications were accepted. It would be easy to speculate what happened behinds the scenes but really we don't know.

BTW, the company I now work with performed a detailed background check which included fingerprinting. On my work's job application, they asked questions on criminal history. My work location is a chemical plant which produces "substances of interest" and therefore the security requirements for employees and contractors is higher than typical. My employer has my SSN. The only thing that could remotely be on my record is a single moving traffic violation 29 years ago - that's it - I have never been in a car accident, arrested, or been in court or a police station for any purpose. Also, I have never had a parking ticket - pretty amazing when you think about it.

It is required so that the employer can report earnings to the Social Security Administration to credit your account, it's intended purpose. It's defacto purpose now is a national identity number. Please move away from the alcove.