Leader application problem

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to remind everybody once again - you are forced to agree to a CONSUMER check even though the BSA says that it is a criminal background check. Persons on a different list server claims that their credit was damaged while they were applying for a loan. The BSA is not being Trustworthy!

Also, most pedophiles and homosexuals preying upon underage children usually do not have a record.

Persons on a different list server claims that their credit was damaged while they were applying for a loan. The BSA is not being Trustworthy!

And do these people know for a fact the problems they are having getting a loan were cause by the BSA?

What is this "dead horse" theme all about that is running through several topics? Subjects that have interest generate posts. Dead topics don't. Might it be a bit presumptuous to ask others to stop discussing because one has lost interest? If we all did that, the forums would surely fold.

"And do these people know for a fact the problems they are having getting a loan were cause by the BSA?"

Ev, you're beginning to sound like Bob White.

This is sorta like the topic in the other thread where parents were told by the unit committee that the summer camp they attend is banning all t-shirts other than BSA related & plain ones and stating this is BSA policy without knowing if it is or not! If ya don't know for sure, tossing out accusations is just plain wrong!

No "Chicken in white tights" here! I'm a talon you, I'm an Eagle!

Timely article from Milwaukee Journa-Sentinel on the subject of identify theft. In today's paper

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=765114

I think one of the things they really wasn't answered is if the use of ssn really improves the ability of the background check agency to find the information needed to find people with criminal backgrounds. That is the bottom line question.

Providing the number does increase the chances of it being stolen. It has to just due to the fact that someone else now has it. It would be a shame if it really isn't needed. There is also a difference between someone wanting to steal my information and someone stealing information that includes my information. I don't think I could stop someone from trying to find out about me and my specific information about me, like my credit card numbers, ssn, etc. But I would like to try and minimize the ability of people stealing information like ssn and credit card numbers and using it.

I think the news article shows that just checking your credit card statements isn't the point of the concern. It is someone using your ssn for other reasons and not being aware of it before it is too late. Then not being to do a lot about it.

Of course everbody has to make their own decisions regarding if they are willing to take the risk. A lot of those decisions will be based on persons personal experiences. People make choices, (I do not mean risky life style type choices), on how much and what type of insurances they take out, the activities they are going to be involved in, using their credit card on-line, etc. all based on the risks they want to assume. I find it somewhat curious that some of the people responding in this forum do not respect a persons concern about the risk. Just because one person might be willing to take that risks does not mean another person who does not, does not have a valid reason to be concerned. Hope some of you don't end up finding out you own a couple of homes or have another career.

I guess you can't fight city hall.

Acid Test:

I was going to reluctantly sign-up online. I received a letter directing my to a website with a password and username. The first screen was an agreement to allow the check. The agreement says that the BSA only wishes a criminal background check but the agreement specifically requires that you agree to a consumer check.

To everyone questioning the poster who said that her credit was damaged by the BSA check, the poster indicated that she applied for the consumer check (disguised as a background check only) during the process of a home loan. As you know, checks on your credit rating decrease the rating. Her interest rate increased a small amount due to the check. I do not remember if she was able to definitely determine that it was the BSA check (that is my remembrance) or that it was inferred.

I still see the request for a consumer check when they only 'say' that it is a criminal background check as un-trustworthy. If they do not trust me be honest as a long time Eagle scout and scouter, why should I trust them when they are contradictory?

" If they do not trust me be honest as a long time Eagle scout and scouter, why should I trust them when they are contradictory?"

Why would they be doing a "consumer check"? To see if you can afford PTC.

Maybe they hope to catch you opening an account with "www.hotteens.com"?

Maybe because it costs less and BSA is only doing this to make people feel warm and fuzzy because they realize that the likelyhood of a convicted short eyes applying for membership in BSS is somewhere close to zero.

As you know, checks on your credit rating decrease the rating.

A check here and there will not adversely affect your credit rating. What could is a lot of checks in a short period of time.

Her interest rate increased a small amount due to the check.

I doubt that one credit check raised her rate. A couple things probably happened. There was either a lot of checks on her credit in a short period or there was some derogatory credit that showed up or both.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

Ed,

There would have been 2 checks in a short period of time - her lending institution's check and the BSA. With the dishonesty in the check that the BSA requests and apparently performs along with the BSA takeover of the BSA, I tend to trust the poster.

Gold Winger,

You might be right that it is cheaper but it does not make sense that you can get a criminal background check and a consumer check for less than the criminal background check alone. Do you have knowledge that this is the case?

I still have not heard a single good reason why the BSA should be allowed to perform a consumer check on volunteers.