Leader application problem

evmori wrote...

Fingerprints are great to identify someone. But not everyone's are on file to be checked! And usually if they are, the reason isn't a good one!

Duh. Exactly!!! Fingerprints are taken for criminals. If your fingerprints are on file in association for a crime then you probably have the background that would exclude you from being a leader. That is why fingerprints are a better choice than a SSN. SSNs can be stolen (first post and nearly everyone after), fingerprints cannot.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We Ev, the FBI has had mine for over 30 years because I've been investigated eight ways from Sunday and for a higher level clearance they look into your financials. However, the FBI doesn't have the statutory authority to go digging through financial records when you're buying a firearm.

If you are spending time with my son on a regular basis, I would want as thorough of a check done as possible. Why let someone slip through the cracks because their fingerprints aren't on file but their SSN will tell you they are bad news? That makes no sense.(This message has been edited by evmori)

Evmori wrote....

If you are spending time with my son on a regular basis, I would want as thorough of a check done as possible. Why let someone slip through the cracks because their fingerprints aren't on file but their SSN will tell you they are bad news? That makes no sense.

Just wrong on so many levels. At first I thought you were the regular forum troll but I now believe it is something else. Even the worst forum trolls exhibit levels of comprehension, common sense and most important, intelligence.

Sorry Ed, I will no longer respond to your posts, your comical private messages or your ridiculous request for a public apology. Simply put, I am not stepping down to your level.

All of this issue with the SSN is basically irrelevant to the issue of background checks. For many years my SSN was my driver's license number, it was the number on my hospital records, my school records, and who knows whatever else there is out there.

My bank account number is given out every time I write a check.

My debit card number is handed over to more restaurant employee's than I can count.

And after all this people are worried about the BSA having my SSN on the leaders' application? One needs to get a proper perspective on their irrational fears.

Have I had my numbers stolen? Yep, and it's fixable until the next time it gets stolen. One can buy insurance to protect themselves against this kind of theft, just like they protect their health costs, their savings costs, their lives, their homes, etc. etc. etc.

To put it into perspective, banks have been trying for hundreds of years to keep people from stealing from them, and well, they still get robbed. Go figure.

Do I worry about my money in the bank? Nope, it's insured. Do I worry about my credit? Nope, my credit rating is 0. Do I worry about my SSN? Nope, it's insured. "Be Prepared" is more than a motto, it's a lifestyle for some.

Stosh

"If you are spending time with my son on a regular basis, I would want as thorough of a check done as possible. Why let someone slip through the cracks because their fingerprints aren't on file but their SSN will tell you they are bad news? That makes no sense."

Ed, you really don't know how the system works but this discussion is like trying to teach a pig to whistle. So go back to your strange little world.

Oh, BTW, please post your SSN here so that we all may check your background.

067-52-9856, I am not afraid to post mine cause its protected

nldscout - I assume you would have no objections if I link to this thread so all can see your SSN. Please let me know if you are okay with this.

OK Acid Test! That's at least the 2nd time you've posted that!

I'm beginning to wonder, well ........................

How is that wrong on any level?

Do you want your son spending weekends with some whack job that slipped through the crack because the background check that was done wasn't comprehensive? And when this whack job ruins your son's life & your family's life, who ya gonna sue? The BSA. Why? They didn't check the whack job out thoroughly enough.

I realize some people will slip through the crack no matter how comprehensive the background check.

If someone wants to steal you identity, they will. And not giving your SSN to the BSA so they can do background checks is like shouting the sky is falling! And it isn't!

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

Your number is protected? Protected how? By the scam artist that goes on radio and shills for his firm by spewing out his Social Security number and claiming it's protected? Perhaps you're unaware that his Social Security Number has been used illegally numerour times since he started his advertisements.

AYSO = American Youth Soccer Organization (to answer a prior question). I posted their policy as a reference point, since we can all learn from the successes and failures of other youth groups. They publicly claim that the SSN allows for a more thorough background check. Others here are discussing that the FBI can do a complete check without SSN. While the FBI can, perhaps other groups can not. I do not honestly know. It may be that a check can be done without an SSN, but that it costs more. Perhaps SSN allows for an automatic check, while no SSN requires a manual check.

Criminal records across the 50 states are NOT well linked, organized, or easy to parse. Simple review the problems from the Florida election when a poorly built list of felons was used in regards to voter registration. Alternatively, you can look into the challenges that the National Background check for firearms purchases has had. Finally, the Feds are focused on felonies, but there might be some misdemeanors that we in youth groups are worried about as well. I want the best possible check that fits in Scouting's budget.

We are NOT an agent of the government, so we have the ability to be stricter than the government. That means that while I am completely in support of our nation's philosophy of letting 10 go free rather than convict just one - in my PRIVATE life (or that of my PRIVATE organization), I reserve the right to reject 10 great people rather than let one slip through. I also check the Megan's law sites regularly for my area to see if any name pops up that I was not aware of (one has in the last 5 years). We need to protect our kids - are we sure that that third-party firms that are used to run background checks can do it properly without an SSN?

I've never been arrested so I don't know the answers to this question which is vera, vera important.

When you are arrested, do the police have the statutory authority to request your SSN? What if you don't know your SSN? What if you just say that you don't know your SSN?

I'd think not because the last that I checked, government agencies can only require the SSN if they are dealing with tax/income related issues. Did you make too much to qualify for food stamps? Maybe a member of the Attorny General's staff can answer that.

If the SSN isn't a part of the arrest record, what good is accomplished by having the SSN other than to make people think that the check is "more complete."

From what I can glean from a few background check services, the SSN helps you clean up the name and address list. It will pull every known address and name combination of the person associated with that particular number, including nicknames and maiden names. You then have a more complete list of names and addresses to use in the criminal portion of the background check.