Leader application problem

Since your ID has been stolen, why won't you try to do something to try to prevent this from happening again. Once shame on them! Twice shame on me! Three times! Well, need I say more.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to all for the great advice. I did enroll in Lifelock and completed my application with scouts.

Ed,

With all due respect, that is the whole premise of this thread. Sorry you missed it. Both my wife and I take great measures to protect our privacy - all measures are mentioned in one of the links posted some time back.

Thanks again to all of those who helped out.

Sincerely,

AT

"Now just hope that they are also taking payroll deductions for income tax. If not, you may end up paying taxes on their earnings."

Gern, you and talen333 have noted the same problem. I'll just hope that the witholding process takes the taxes as well. H'mmmm, otherwise as King Pellinore would say, not if I have my trusty sword, I won't. ;)

Acid Test,

You said stolen 3 times.

First was a large on-line music store who's system was hacked and everybody's credit card information was stolen. I can't remember the name of the store but they went out of business within 3 months of the breach.

Second was Wells Fargo who had some of their computer servers stolen upon trying to physically move them from the US to India. They supposedly never landed in India and one or more of the servers contained my personal data.

Third was Capital One, the company that issues my credit card. They have been very tight lipped on the situation but the letter from them said my information may have been stolen and the matter is under investigation.

Did you lose anything? was accounts set up in your name?

What was the total of your loss?

Identity theft is really two pronged. One is taking out credit and buying stuff using your identity. This is bad. Really bad. All I need is a little bit of your information (SSN is key) and BAM, I can get credit with your name, buy stuff and never pay it back. You are stuck with sorting things out later, probably long after I've moved on to another sucker. You are left with a bad credit rating, disputed debt, lots of headaches. This is what the LifeLock guys can protect you against.

The second is using your identity to gain employment. That really isn't a problem for you except for when income taxes are levied and not withheld. Most 1040 employers withhold taxes so you are covered. But when a 1099 situation, (independent contractor), no withholding is done. Then suddenly, the IRS says you made $25,000 more than you claimed, and wants taxes for it. Since the perp didn't pay withholding, usually only with a 1099 type contract, you are stuck with the tax burden or proving you didn't earn it. Can't see how LifeLock can protect you against that.

I my view there are 2 reasons to refuse to agree to the BSA consumer check. The online site makes you agree to a consumer check though they 'say' that the criminal background check (CBC) is all that they are collecting. If all they wanted was a CBC, they would only make you agree to a CBC. So why does the BSA want a consumer check?

Second, the check is an invasion of privacy that does not work. Earlier in this thread someone talked about the BTK killer who was a scouter. Prior to his daughter turning him in to the police, he had no record! This is a typical finding.

Only parental vigilance will keep our youth safe.

I have a letter from the State Police telling the world that I don't have a criminal record and especially no recrod of child related crimes. Why? I'm a sports official. To get that, I went to a poh-lease station, got fingerprinted, and submitted that to the State Police. Teachers, day care providers, etc. go through the same process. All of us with these nice letters should be able to just give a copy of that to BSA. I'm sure that the State Police did a better job than ChoicePoint.

This whole thing is really a knee-jerk reaction. It sounds good on the surface but does it really do anything?

As a sports official, I just show up to a bunch of strangers and declare that I'm in charge. Who am I? They don't know me but I'm there insinuated into their lives as an authority figure.

In Scouting, that's different. Sure, you don't know every Scouter but they are known by someone. Nearly everyone started off as someone's dad. They aren't strangers. That's no guarantee that they aren't "funny" as people used to say but it is a good indication that they haven't been caught. That's all the check is going to do, catch the ones who have already been caught.

BSA really needs to look at their invasion of privacy. If I decide to opt out, I really won't be losing much, a registration card and a chance to wear a uniform. What will BSA lose? My $10 and the $10 of the others who opt out.

Heck, for me it always comes back to the fact that I can buy a gun and have the FBI do a criminal background check without needing my SSN. Why the heck can't BSA do that?

Gold Winger said,

"Heck, for me it always comes back to the fact that I can buy a gun and have the FBI do a criminal background check without needing my SSN. Why the heck can't BSA do that? "

Not entirely true, When buying a weapon, they look first at Name and address, if they get a possible hit in the criminal Justice system, then they start looking deeper and may ask for your SSN. I get NCIC inquiries from them all the time asking for records and peopls SSN are sometimes on the information provided.

Gold Winger said,

"Heck, for me it always comes back to the fact that I can buy a gun and have the FBI do a criminal background check without needing my SSN. Why the heck can't BSA do that? "

Not entirely true, When buying a weapon, they look first at Name and address, dob, if they get nothing they stop there, if they get a possible hit in the Criminal Justice system, then they start looking deeper and may ask for your SSN. I get NCIC inquiries from them all the time asking for records and peopls SSN are sometimes on the information provided.

The fact that you can buy a gun w/o giving an SSN is nice, but what your gun dealer requires has no bearing on what BSA requires.

Heck to get a CPA, you have to give a finger print; at least BSA isn't requiring that. I went online yesterday and completed the form giving permission to do a background check and I gave my SSN. I know there's a slight risk, but I'm willing to accept that risk to stay in the program.

If you're not, well its been nice knowing you . . .

"Not entirely true, When buying a weapon, they look first at Name and address, if they get a possible hit in the criminal Justice system, then they start looking deeper and may ask for your SSN. I get NCIC inquiries from them all the time asking for records and peopls SSN are sometimes on the information provided."

Are you a dealer? I am. They never insist on SSN. Unless they've changed the 4473 without telling me, next to SSN it says "optional."

(This message has been edited by Gold Winger)