Leader application problem

Your electric company & gas company & cable company required it to determine your risk of not paying them.

I'm with nldscout on this. Your info is out there. Someone who really wants it will get it. And let us not forget that not everyone's info is wanted. And let us not forget, we all might die tomorrow. Does that mean we stop living today?

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is little doubt your information is already out there but it doesn't need to be everywhere where your chances of having it stolen become much higher. Especially in the hands of organizations that seem to fail to understand the importance of keeping this type of information confidential or they wouldn't require it in the first place, especially when there are worth alternatives.

And let us not forget, we all might die tomorrow. Does that mean we stop living today?

Of course not - but I might choose not to smoke knowing the increased likelyhood of acquiring lung cancer. I might choose not to consume large amounts of alcohol knowing the risks associated with liver damage. I might choose not to ride my bicycle down the middle of a crowded road during rush hour.

I thought about it but most of these are small companies with little proven track record. Is there one you have been looking at? Does anyone else use this type of service - please weigh-in. Also, what happens if you allow the service to expire? Do they purge their computers of your information?

Wells Fargo has one they have been pushing but there is something wrong with the idea of a company selling me an identity protection service after loosing my personal information.

I'm no expert on the services, but it seems to me that they provide the same freeze on the credit bureaus that Packsaddle references. Then they provide a $1Million insurance policy if it doesn't work. So really, you could do it yourself for free, or have them do it for a fee and get the insurance policy if its worth anything.

Lifelock.com is the one that is being advertised nationally right now.

I am not a client of any of these services, but might do what Pack referenced as I have all the credit I need and locking it up until I might need more seems prudent.

Now he is a millionaire!!!

Actually I like this solution and will sign up, complete my BSA application and move on to leading the boys. One note - it will cost me $99/year. I will now buy $99 less scout popcorn per year to fund this service.

thanks a million!! (pun intended)

Good luck on collecting on the insurance policy. Looks like ad hype to me. Ever try to collect on a secondary extended warranty?

I thought the LifeLock guy was a moron to broadcast his SSN, but I bet they weren't able to get credit on his ID. Is it really stealing it if you broadcast it on national TV?

$99/year to do what you can do with 3 letters to the credit bureau seems steep. But if it gives you comfort and allows you to sleep at night, have at it.

Gern, I'm sure your question was in jest but just to make sure...anyone who takes something that he shouldn't is guilty of theft. It doesn't matter how stupid the victim is.

FYI, for most of the states, the credit freeze is free. Unfreezing it is also free. For those few states still mired in the past, it is available on a voluntary basis for a $10 fee for each credit bureau. Unlocking it is also $10 but you don't have to do it for each bureau, only the one the creditor uses to establish credit.

Me, I'm working on my last shreds of debt...I'll be debt free in about two months. Yahoooooo! After that I couldn't care less what my rating is.

Edited part: Just wondering...suppose an illegal immigrant gets my SSN. Then he uses it to earn a living, making a pile of money through his hard work and initiative - seems to me that when I retire I'll actually benefit from the 'theft'. Someone want to elaborate?(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

Ya gotta have something worth taking for an ID thief to be interested in you. And if an ID thief wants your info, he will get it!

If you are so concerned about someone stealing your ID then you should take the necessary steps to help prevent it! And until you do, shouting the sky is falling serves no purpose.

Ed Mori

Yes pack. Those using assumed SSNs for employment will enjoy paying the SSN taxes but never be able to recover them. If the assumed SSN is for the deceased, the US Goverment makes out well as those bennies will never be claimed. If someone is using yours, the amount they contribute will be added to your total contributions. Now just hope that they are also taking payroll deductions for income tax. If not, you may end up paying taxes on their earnings.

evmori wrote.... Ya gotta have something worth taking for an ID thief to be interested in you. And if an ID thief wants your info, he will get it!

If you are so concerned about someone stealing your ID then you should take the necessary steps to help prevent it! And until you do, shouting the sky is falling serves no purpose.

Ed Mori

Ed,

Are you able to read any of the prior posts in this thread or access the links? It seems you are responding in some sort of vacuum or time warp.

Acid Test,

Has your ID been stolen? You claim to be worried about this happening but will not take the necessary steps to help prevent it from happening other then refusing to divulge your SSN to the BSA so you can be registered. Yep I read all your posts. I'm still trying to figure out what you have to hide! Even your profile is blank.

Ed Mori

Acid Test,

Has your ID been stolen?

Posts 1 & 28

You claim to be worried about this happening but will not take the necessary steps to help prevent it from happening other then refusing to divulge your SSN to the BSA so you can be registered.

Posts 28, 31, 39

Yep I read all your posts. I'm still trying to figure out what you have to hide! Even your profile is blank.

Posts 1, 11, 23, 30

Ed Mori

Hey Packsaddle,

If an illegal alien uses your social and works as an independent contractor,the I.R.S. may very well show up on your doorstep asking for you to pay the tax that the employer has shown you owe. If the employer has your information you will have to prove that you did not do the work for them.