Professional career consideration

"1) Really making friends and working with the volunteers, especially if they view you as a "real scout

leader."

2)Recruiiting and starting new untis as very fun as I go to see the lookon the faces as people got introduced to the program. I had experienced an especially great pleasure in starting a minority unit in a very under served segment of the population. Working with the leaders, helping them to recruit members, getting sponsors, and seeing them at camp where I introduced them to one of my troop's traditions was an awesome experience.

You must weigh the benefits and costs."

Eagle92, clearly your District is very fortunate to have you as the District Executive.

Shortridge,

Greetings!

You have received excellent advice from many volunteers, and maybe one or two professionals here in our forum.

(Still not many professionals blog on the Scouting sites; so that what they may state, will not be used as an official BSA statement)

A friend of mine had stated. Becoming a professional Scouter has taken most of the fun out of it. He stated it has its benefits, getting to meet many great youth and adults. But that the enjoyment a volunteer Scouter has, is lessened when it becomes a job.

I've been told that most professional Scouters work night shifts and not really during the day. These evening hours could be difficult on their own family schedules. A few friends and DEs could not be found during the daytime hours. That was pretty much how the Scout Executive wanted it. As long as they were out making their round of all the pack, troop and crews at night time, and the weekend events. The Scout Executive did not desire them to be tied to their desk, as long as the customer service was being maintained.

They probably lived in the Scout uniform or Scout T-shirt/polo shirt between noon till midnight.

So just a few more things to ponder.

Good Luck in your career!

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

Yes, it is possible to be a professional Scouter and have a family. It is not easy, but it is possible.

It definately helps if you are a natural salesman, with lots of energy and enthusium. Also, like any other job, it makes a world of difference if you love what you do.

We had a young man in our council start as the DE for Venturing/Learning for Life. After a few years, he became our District's DE. He had a great love for what he was doing. It showed, and it was contagious. He met his wife in our Council Service Center. She was one of the Council's admin staff.

After about 7-8 years total in our Council, he was promoted and moved to another Council in our state, about 2hrs away. He came back to visit at the following year's Kick-off with wife and new son in tow. They were happy and he was looking forward to having another Scout in the family.

It has been a few years now. I just heard that he has been promoted again (same council), and that he and his family are doing fine.

So, to that Scout asking about a BSA career, I would tell him to get a college degree and to read this -

http://www.scouting.org/Careers.aspx

The scout uniform/t-shirt/polo from noon to midnite is a good one, and true. In fact don't be surprised if you have to change from field uniform to dress uniform to executive casual all in the same day. When I first became a DE, I had no furniture for a month or two, so I used the public library as a office. So I was in and out of there several times a day. This one cute librarian thought I was crazy one day when she first say me in three different outfits. I had some volunteer training going on, so I needed to be in a field uniform during the morning. That afternoon, I had a charter presentation a BnG and was "requested" to wear the dress uniform, so she saw me in that after the presentation. I then had to go to an informal meeting with my Key 3 and so I was in executive casual for that. Yep went to the library after that meeting to get some work. Good news is that I later married that librarian.

Seriously though you will be very visible and will be in uniform a lot. Also You will be recognized anywhere you go, especially in a small town, even out of uniform. Go to the grocery, 'hey there's the Scout guy." Go out to dinner with your date, "Hey that's our new DE," etc.

Also as I had experienced, and have noticed and been told by other pros, everything you purchase for yourself, you will consider how it can be used with the job. Clothing, vehicles, audiovisual equipment, everything.

As someone else has mentioned, it' a calling like being in the ministry or military. I have found that prior/retired military tend to handle the job better because the family supports them more.