what do you want your new DE to really understand?

"I want him to be meeting with chartered organizations who might be willing to expand their Scouting programs and be on the look out for organizations who might become CO's."

Isn't that the job of the Vice-Chair for Membership? At least that's what our Vice-chair does.

"I want him to be out and about in the community doing what he can to sell Scouting to business leaders who might be willing to support the Council financially."

Sounds like what one of FOS guys does.

I was once told that the DE Job is to meet FOS goals and to start new units. If I am wrong than I am sorry.

My opinion is that the DE needs to work on getting more volunteers for the District level positions, not filling those positions.

Also, I don't think we need more units. We need quality units. I can go around and start 10 new units if I really tried. But in 1 year are those units still going to be there. I think that quality units are better than quantity of units.

Just for reference, my district covers two counties. My county is a small farming county. RIght now we have 3 Cub Scout packs that are chartered. One of them only has 1 Tiger. And I think they have about 5 other boys in 2 dens. They do not do things with the council and they do not follow the outdoor guidelines. No tour permits, no day camps, no Cub camping at the council or district level. I think that is taking away from the boys. I have heard that they say the boys don't want to do it.

The other has a medium amount of boys and they are fairly active from what I understand. I am working with them to do some combined activities.

Now my pack is small too. 5 tigers, 1 wolf, and 2 Webelos that are getting ready to cross over. We go on council trips, fill out tour permits for our campout this month, and attend the PWD and Day camps along witht eh leaders going to the program extravaganza to find out what is going on this upcoming year.

We are building this with trying to get new tigers here soon and hopefully adding each year.

I think that 1 or 2 quality units would make much better sence than 3 - 5 small units doing thier own thing

Sorry that took so long but I had to support my message.

Well our new DE started on the 5th, I think that this being her first job will help her as she has no preconceptions and hopefully will be able to adapt to how bowersox runs his office. I also think that this new hire will hopefully help the venturing program as this new DE is of the female persuasion.

Although she does have a hard road ahead of her because this council has a long history of new DEs only lasting a couple months and the job she is filling was last held by a long standing scouting veteran and senior DE in the office.

All I can say is good luck to her and look forward to working with you.