District Camping Chair

Ok this is the "job discription" we have in our District Operations guide;

District Camping Chair

Works with the District Program Chair and the District Chairman.

Ensures that the promotion committee is familiar with Cub and Scout Outdoor programs provided by the Council or at our local camps.

Ensures that a sufficient promotion team is in place to visit every pack, troop and crew to invite them to camps and works with the Order of the Arrow Chapter during their visits.

Promotes and gives camping updates at Roundtable at least quarterly.

Attends council camping meetings to coordinate council and district efforts, and gathers feedback from units in the district regarding camp opportunities.

Helps get packs, troops and crews signed up for Outdoor programs.

Makes reports, as invited, to the District Committee.

Serves in this capacity as a chair for at least one year, with possible re-election if selected by the Nominating Committee, for up to a possible served 3 years.

LongHaul

This is one of the hats I am wearing this year. I'm still learning the job, but in addition to what LH says, in our district, responsibilities include coordinating and facilitating the Spring Camporee, Fall Webelos Woods, and Summer Cub Day Camp.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the input everyone. I was ask to Chair our district camping committee and took the job based on the description that was given by Longhaul. I had found that on line. I am an enthusiastic camper with 30 years of camping in the area I live in. I had thought that my experience and knowledge would allow me to help units in our district develop a more healthy camping program. When I came on I was told that part of my duties were to recruit a chair person for our camporee's. The first one after I took office in january, was held in March and was set up by the previous chair. I was kept out of the loop and told not to worry because it had been handled. Then in the Fall, I was ask by the District Committee Chair and the District Executive to go in with another district and help them with their program. That was not how I wanted to handle the event, but did as ask. This spring I recruited a veteran Scoutmaster to handle the event. And he did a wonderful job. Shortly after it was over, I received a email from the District Committee Chair asking me to step down due to the fact that we had a horrible camporee in spring of 2006 (the one she would not include me in) and another disapointing camporee for the fall of 2007 (the one that I did at her request) and another disapointing camporee in the spring of 2008. (this one was actually the biggest sucess in the past gew years. In fact I had recruited for chairmen for the next 3 camporees off of the success of this one. She also sited that I had not set up any camporees for the Cub Program. Now she has her husband in the position and he has the next three camporees already being worked on by people I recruited. I do not mind stepping down, but I am not happy about the blackeye I am getting from this. Am I wrong?

A camporee is an "activity". It does not fall under the responsibilities of the Camping Committee. It was nice of you to help out, but if the district program chair was not happy with the camporee, she talk to the camporee chair, and should see to it that there is an Activities and Civic Service committee, whose job it is to plan "activities" and appoint a camporee chair.

See the Camping Committee Guide #33083 or the Activities and Civic Service Guide #33082 or the Camporee Guide #33571. But be forewarned; mentioning "the book" in a home-brew situation might get you labeled a troublemaker.

Perhaps you could thank her for reassigning the camporee task back to the Activities committee so you can better concentrate your efforts on the Camping Committee tasks.