District Committee Best Practices

Hi,

My district is in the process of trying to reinvigorate itself, attract new members, and, overall, deliver a qulity program to our youth.

What are some things that your district/district committee does well or gets right?

Thanks,

Paula Ball

Training Chair

NW Disitrict ESC

Hi,

At the risk of coming off sounding like a "Book Thumper"

The delivery of the program lies with the Unit.

Unit programs are supported by the District through its Program functions and Unit Service.

Having spent over fifteen years working at the District level. I think (Just my opinion!!) That depending on who you are and the position you serve in has a lot to do with how you see/view the District and its' success or failure.

For example a Den Leader might only see what happens at the Round Table, District Training's and Camps. If the these are well organized and ran. He or She will think the District is doing great!!

On the other hand the District Finance Chairman who is having a hard time meeting the District Finance goals and is being given a hard time by people in the community and the volunteers in the District. Might have a very different point of view?

I'm very lucky!! I live in the center of a very small District. People in our area tend not to move very much and it seems that everyone knows everyone. In fact as you drive around the District you need to drive with one hand as you need the other hand to wave at people.

Having owned and operated two restaurants and bars in the area and having been involved with organizations like the Chamber of Commerce, I'm fairly well known. The family of Her Who Must Be Obeyed were involved in Scouting long before I came across the pond from England and owned and operated the local funeral home. So they knew everyone.

This has been a big help when it comes to trying to get people to do things.

My Mother-in-law was the Den Mother to the local Bank President, my Father-in-law was SM to several of the local School principles (3 are Eagle Scouts)

Such is the joy of serving in a small semi rural District.

As District Chairman for some reason people found it hard to say no to me!!

In part was because I always had back up plans for them. If I asked them to do one thing and they refused me, I hit them with another! Taking a NO! Just wasn't an option.

Working with local Service Clubs did a lot to help our District.

I looked for volunteer Scouters who were already involved in these clubs and used the Adult Recognitions to get my foot in the door (Make the awards at their meetings and functions, not Scout functions).

Having presentations from events like the Jamboree or Eagle Scout projects that an enthusiastic volunteer can present at meetings of local clubs (Their Chairmen are always looking for an easy program that they don't need to put too much time and effort in!)

Communication is vital, but the one thing people seem to hate most is wasting time.

Meetings for the sake of meetings will kill or scare off any willing volunteer.

The best thing to do is decide what needs done?

Look at what is involved? Select and recruit the right person to do it. Let him or her know what it is, what is involved, when it will start and when it will be done.

Once you have these people they need to be held accountable for doing what they have said they are going to do.

This does take time. Some people will need some sort of training (We lose 47% of the people who volunteer. A lot of times because they don't know what they should be doing!!) The District Chair or The Committee Chair does need to follow up and see how things are going? Ask if they need anything? Offer to help if need be. (Offering to help is not the same as doing it!!)

I know this is going to sound terrible!!

But the District Committee needs to know that they serve for a one year term!! If someone isn't doing what they should be doing or is using the meeting to voice their complaints or is just a miserable old goat!! Get them off the committee. They are not doing anyone any good!!

Never allow any meeting to run over 90 minutes.

Always start on time and have everything ready.

The District Chairman and the DE should plan the agenda.

People like to be rewarded.

Use the recognition plan (The District Key) Celebrate when goals have been met - A cake and case of pop costs very little!!

Thank people a lot -A pat on the back costs nothing!!

The District Chairman needs to look at each and every committee and remind the other committee chairs that one person is not a committee!!

Trust the people you ask.

They might not do it the way that maybe you might do it!! But there will be time to look at what happened and reflection after and the goal is to do it better next time!!

Invite Council Chairs to come and talk with each committee. He or She should know what the goals of the Council are!! Most times these people do know what they are doing!!

Encourage all the District Committee members to attend the District Training.

Get to know the people who serve on the same committee in the other Districts -Heck you all are doing the same job for the same Council. Pick their brains -Who knows some good might come out of it. We all want "Our District" to be the best!! But it really isn't a competition!

Treat Adults like adults!! Expect them to act like adults!!

Encourage each and every volunteer to ask the District Committee person who serves in a particular area, when they have a problem. Not pick up the phone and call the DE!!

This helps the District Volunteer feel needed!! (And loved!)

Have fun!!

Eamonn.