I understand you are upset. I understand that you feel you have simplified it for us and believe that the Council is to blame. However, I think that you still do not understand how the charter concept works and who is ultimately responsible.

The very first charter organization these people (or just the wife since she is the one who has the legal problems) belonged to was the one who "hired" her. That charter organization (NOT the council) had the responsibility to "fire" her if she did something that they did not like. If that something was theft from the Charter Org or one of the Charter Orgs units, it was the responsibility of the Charter Org to 1) "fire" her 2) contact the council and tell them she was no longer a registered member of their charter and request the council TAKE HER REGISTRATION OFF OF THE COUNCIL ROLLS and 3) press charges against her for the theft.

It seems that the Charter Org failed to tell the council that her registration had been revoked.

Since she was, according to your post, then hired and fired by a number of other Charter Organizations, it seems that NONE of the Charter Orgs told the council that her registration had been revoked.

It seems that none of the Charter Orgs, including the first, checked any references, questioned why she left other units, contacted the other units for a reference, or looked at the type of person they were "hiring".

Since all of the Charter Organizations approved her, and all of the Charter Organizations simply transferred her membership and did NOT revoke it, this tells the council that she left in fairly good standing with each Charter Organization. The only way the council can know differently is if the CHARTER ORGANIZATION, not simply a unit leader, tells them. This, it seems, NONE of the Charter Organizations did.

So, how is this all the fault of the council? I would say that if you really feel like suing someone, and standing any chance of winning, you should sue the Charter Organizations.

BTW - Speaking of arrogance, I believe we all work with various BSA units "in the real world". Some of us more than one, and some of us work with our District and Council as well. As for having 8000 posts, if you notice the registration date, those posts were made over the course of over 6 years. At your rate of 10 posts in one (1) day, you can easily achieve 8000 posts in a little over two (2) years.

Happy Scouting!

So the person is arrested, in jail, and awaiting a trail.

She has been removed from the unit, has no contact with the unit, is not currently a member of any BSA unit or the council.

Isn't that what you wanted?

Until she tries to join again you have no idea if she will be able to or not, do you? Her parole violation was not the BSA's responsibility or fault, she broke the law not the BSA.

It is likely that the counil has taken steps to block her from ever registering in the BSA again. But that will probably not be shared with you since it is going to handled confidentially in all likelyhood.

As I said before I hope this situation improves for your scouts, and I hope the charter organization will find a way to better screen their leader applicants.

And yes, I am a unit leader as well.

Happy Scouting,

BW

Well while the charter organization concept works on paper, the events described are a good example of what can happen when COs take a relatively hands off approach to their units and leaders. Sure COs are supposed to select and screen adult leaders but how many of us are involved with units where that simply just doesn't happen? The fact is many, many COs don't have much direct input or are very involved with the units they charter. The papers are signed as a formality and sent on to Council.

How many council execs are going to turn down a new charter application for new units given compensation incentives to start new units regardless of who is listed as unit leaders? The COs approved the leaders, what do they care? They get new units in their council.

When it all hits the fan the council simply says, hey its the COs problem, not mine.

In the mean time Scouting continues to recieve a black eye in the community, certainly isn't serving youth members and may be hurting the image of scouting overall.

A young volunteer steps forward ready to take on this windmill of a nightmare, asks for help from the forum and gets, sorry its not a BSA problem. Deal with the COs.

I think that summarizes things so far.

dpicarelli,

This is my suggestion. Forget the council. If you want to help your current unit, get the Chartering organization to name you as the Charter Organization Representative.(COR) This puts you in the drivers seat with respect to who gets to be a leader in your COs unit. You also have a vote at the council level and are more likely to be listened to by a council executive. But you can then select and screen leaders for the youth of your CO's unit. You can begin the process of rebuilding the trust between Scouting, your CO and your troop and pack membership. Focus on what you can do to help the youth of your CO.

Write a letter to the council executive as to why your CO has removed previous leaders from your unit.

Oh one last thing and this is really important.

If the CO's do choose to sue the council and you want to remain in scouting make sure you have nothing to do with the lawsuit. The quickest way to get blackballed from scouting short of openly declaring you are gay is to be involved in a lawsuit against a council.

In short, focus on what you can do to serve your unit locally. As an individual you have little effect on the bureacracy of scouting beyond that.

Good luck and I hope the youth you serve get the scouting experience they deserve.

SA