DESPERATE...Need input and support on serious retaliation by Council

I know that when I was called out for OA, I was told about the scant food and water so I told the advisors that I was diabetic and asked if there were allowances for me. One piped up that I had to surrender all insulin and test equipment and suffer with everyone else. Turned out that he was joking and was a diabetic himself. The reality is that they said, "eat if you have to, just don't go hog wild with a Sub from Subway" or something like that. I checked my blood sugar regularly and ate some candy when I was getting low.

I've found most handicapped/disabled/physically challenged people to be reasonable when it comes to things that are designed around normal abilities and will ask for reasonable accomadations and will help look for solutions. Then there are the militants who expect that everything be changed to accomodate them at the drop of a hat.

I could see a militant showing up at ordeal without ever asking about accomodations for his condition and then launching a suit because they couldn't do much to accomadate him.

Of course we'll probably never know the entire story.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something still stikes me as odd with Central Florida's suit.

"In its countersuit, the Central Florida Council also seeks a court-ordered accounting of Unit 700's finances -- saying it "cannot independently verify" whether the Rasmussens have made "improper use of its funds."

The suit alleges the Rasmussens cashed $370 in checks made out to the unit and forced their Scouts to buy clothing and mementos the Rasmussens had embroidered with trademark Boy Scout logos."

Isn't that the CO's responsibility? The Council may be on shaky ground in that the Charter rests with the church. The courts will see that and may ask the church to account for this.

I dont see how the Council has been harmed?

Mmhardy, the council could have a leg to stand on with that fact that they were using the Boy Scout name as a way to make that money. Also, it could be that the council and the charter organization are working together under the BSA name at this point in the lawsuit. We'll have to wait for more details.

Purcelce, I'll shoot you an email later today...

But to go through the hassle of filing a suit for $370 in damages is absurd. The attorney fees alone exceed that even if the attorneys are working for free.

To me the Council should have countered with a sanctions suite against the Plaintiffs attorney. The set aside for ADA for organizations like the BSA is clear.

Clearly something else is going on. Once filed with the court these suits are a matter of public record I wonder if anyone in central Florida could locate it and post it.

There's a lot about this story that doesn't add up. The original post stated that the units would not be rechartered. But their website still shows a schedule of regular meetings...and a "Xmas Party" next week. If they were the only adults registered, and their membership was revoked, who is holding these meetings?

From the sound of the first post, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they were still having meetings even though they were unchartered. Nothing says they can't continue to meet as a group. They just shouldn't be using the BSA name and logo.

I flipped around through their calendar, and with the exception of Summer Camp, this looks more like a Pack than a Troop. There are hardly any weekend campouts. There are a few day hikes and other events, but several fundraisers.

Going back to July, 2005:

Camping trips:

Oct. 05

Nov. 05

Dec. 05

July 06 Summer Camp

Sept. 06

Jan. 07

Mar. 07 Williamsburg trip for week?

July 07 Summer Camp

Oct. 07 Family Camping

Fundraisers:

Carwash Feb. 06

Coca-Cola Sale Aug. 06

Carwash Aug. 06

Carwash Sept. 06

Yardsale Mar. 07

Check the number of fundraisers in 06 compared to the number of campouts. Strange.

Funny, their web page states they go on campouts each month: "Troop 700 believes the heart and soul of Scouting is found in the outdoors, so we get out as often as we can, in all types of weather. We schedule weekend campouts each month. We camp at State and National Parks, Scout camps and on private land."

It looks like it would be very hard for a Scout in that Troop to make the 15 nights camping required for OA.

Wow, this reminds me of a Spanish language Novella...it's got all the twist and turns, just no commercials.

I just read this whole thread and found it very entertaining at least. I'm saddened at the thougth of having to sue a BSA Council of what seems to be an expected entitlement. I'm sure there's much more to this whole magilla, I just can't imagine the drama in Florida...

Dunno if I'd call it entertaining...

Part of me feels a little voyeuristic for looking at some of this because some people who appeared to be dedicated to Scouting received a rude awakening.

The rest of me is just plain mad that if this was the rogue unit that they're shaping up to be, the council and CO let them get away with it as long as they did.

Where was the unit commish?... Oh, right. Nobody wants to serve in that position... I've got openings for four UC's, and have only managed to get two, and that's only because it was seen by someone as an easy ticket item at Woodbadge...

I looked at their calendar. The mention of "Youth Leadership Council" and the fact that the crew committee meets at the same time as the troop committee the leads me to believe that they are running the crew and troop as a joint unit.

Not sure what sort of unit that they are running, especially since they don't seem to do much camping.

"It looks like it would be very hard for a Scout in that Troop to make the 15 nights camping required for OA"

Good question. Maybe they don't figure that rules matter.