From Star Scout to Assistant Cubmaster

I chose my Username to reflect how I feel, coming back to Scouting after, hmmmm, well.., uhhh...., let's just say over 30 years!

I was a Cub Scout and Webelo (when they said it stood for the Cub Scout Ranks of Wolf, Bear, and Lion, hence W-B-L became WeBeLo). Also, back then Bobcat was just a pin you wore until you earned your Wolf Badge. Also, the Mom's got a version of the Bobcat pin also, and did the pinning onto the Cub's uniform. Thye used to say, wear the pin upside down until you do a good deed. I can still remember my Mom's proud face beaming down at her little new Cub Scout.

Anyway, I moved on to Boy Scouts, became a Den Chief when my Mom was the Den Mother for my little brother's Den. Then progressed through the ranks to Star, but got stymied by a few of the Merit Badges required for Life and Eagle. Besides, I had become a Patrol Leader, attended JLTC, then ASPL and SPL, trekked through Philmont, and even took on a task as PL for a special patrol the Scoutmaster created for all the "troublemakers" in the Troop, before "retiring" to the role of Explorer in a newly created Post intended to keep us "Senior" scouts involved. I always regretted not making Eagle, but never the fun of hiking and camping and the challenge of leadership roles in Scouting.

So, I got busy with my education, career, marriage, and family and now, what! Back in Scouting after 30 years. Just like in the old story about Rip Van Winkle, who fell asleep before the Revolution, then woke up to find the American colonies had become the new United States along with many other changes. It took a while to get used to the "new" tan/olive uniforms of the leaders and Boy Scouts. Fortunately, Cubs still wore blue, but wait, what were those First Graders in Orange Shirts? Tiger Cubs? What's that? And those boys in tan and olive are surely some Boy Scouts here to help as Den Chiefs. No? Those are Webelos? And now Cub Scouts are camping?

Man, I have a lot of catching up to do. Thank goodness I found Scouting.com!

WELCOME, Rip!!!

Though I wonder how it is that you lived my life, while I was living it!!!!!!! :)

You'd be amazed how many of us lived (and loved) those exact moments - seperated by a year or two, and a state or two, sometimes even a country or two!! My story stymied at Life, but other than that, I might have been in your Philmont Crew ('75, '76) or at the '73 Jamboree with you or a dozen other "Rippish" Scouters.

Did you have to live through the red beret years???? I(This message has been edited by johndaigler)

Actually, it was and still is "Webelos"...Wolf-Bear-Lion-Scout and the word is both singular and plural.

I too wore the diamond "W" patch on the right sleeve before Webelos was just a den and not a rank, circa 1962. Only had two kinds of dens...Cub and Webelos. Cubmasters and "Committeemen" were always male and Den Mothers were always, um, Mothers.

Thanks for the replies.

The Red Berets came in just as I was going out in the early '70's. Our troop elected to keep the Overseas cap, since that was still an option. Our Philmont Crew (1971) wore hunter camoflage "Jones" caps, being more practical. What I like to wear in the boonies today is the Desert Storm ("Chocolate Chip") version of the Viet Nam Jungle hat. I like the pattern better than the newer desert camo because it has more character!

I do like the new "expedition hat" that the Scout Shop has. I might give it a try. Getting back to Philmont and the Jones cap, some of you may remember the "Mountain Man" camp wear you get to shoot Black Powder rifles. Well, we were instructed to place our hats on a fallen tree if we wanted a target and a souvenir hole. One our guys made the mistake of telling us "be sure not to fire at my hat, I only want ONE HOLE!" Of course, we all shot up his hat, but he wore the shredded thing anyway the rest of the trip!

I had one of those camo hats for Philmont as well. I remember shooting the holes in them as well. I can't remember if this was the same year (I went 3 times in the 70's-80's), but we went up to the top of Baldy. I turned to put my back against the wind, and RIP!, my trusty camoflauge hat was ripped off my head, even with it tied under my chin. It flew until it was out of site. Finding myself hatless, I traded for a ballcap at the next staffed camp we came to.

• 7 months later...

Greetings,

I too reached Star before turning 18. I also enjoyed the campouts and other activities as a boy, and after 20 some odd years have returned as an adult leader. I have been a CubMaster for three years now, but this year moved up with my oldest son to volunteer as an Assistant ScoutMaster (an hour a week...).

Something was announced at our last Troop Meeting. Someone mentioned that camoflage gear is not allowed to be worn at scouting events (I was wearing my camo shorts at the time). Has anyone else heard of this and where would I find this regulation (in writing) and the reason for it?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Dan.

dtown, WELCOME!

Sounds like a local custom. I'm a Cub Scouter, so I'm sure there are others better prepared to answer your question. As I understand it, there're times for the uniforms and times for personal choice. There are probably great reasons for this - just ask.

jd