How competent is your Unit Commissioner?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I served as a Unit Comm. for 5 years. With all training (to PHd level) and Arrowhead. I really enjoyed the packs and troops I visited regularly - because I was welcomed and asked. Then I took a 5 year break to be active in my sons' unit. After, sons reached Eagle and unit needs were minimual went back to UC. But it has been night and day - can't get a hold of units, feel unwelcome, despite all attempts for communication not happening. Unfortunately, the reality is I have better things to do as a volunteer than drag mules to water - So I have resigned (well my name is still listed and I would gladly take a call) Now, I have been "recruited - begged" to start a Venture Unit by 8 of the older boys I mentored in the Troop. So that is where I am headed. The surprise was the difference in groups (I believe most commisioners would love it if there packs, troops, crews would contact them and want them involved - but this is not always the case)

I served as a Unit Comm. for 5 years. With all training (to PHd level) and Arrowhead. I really enjoyed the packs and troops I visited regularly - because I was welcomed and asked. Then I took a 5 year break to be active in my sons' unit. After, sons reached Eagle and unit needs were minimual went back to UC. But it has been night and day - can't get a hold of units, feel unwelcome, despite all attempts for communication not happening. Unfortunately, the reality is I have better things to do as a volunteer than drag mules to water - So I have resigned (well my name is still listed and I would gladly take a call) Now, I have been "recruited - begged" to start a Venture Unit by 8 of the older boys I mentored in the Troop. So that is where I am headed. The surprise was the difference in groups (I believe most commisioners would love it if there packs, troops, crews would contact them and want them involved - but this is not always the case)

I've given up trying to contact my Unit Commissioner. I got quite a bit of help from my UC last year, but this school year I have yet to have an e-mail replied to or a phone message returned. There have been sightings, however. The District Exec. saw the UC at a meeting, and a mom in the pack saw the UC at a supermarket. So the UC is still alive.

• 6 months later...

Our Pack has got its first visit from a UC in several YEARS... and only after complaints about how the pack was running things were made to the council.

From what I've seen they are kindly old gentlemen who like to put on their uniforms and God bless their hearts they try...

I did a training where an elderly scouter tried to demonstrate how to assemble a tent, use a camp stove, and was so confused with his own equipment... I hate to say it but probably best to retire some UC vs. having those that are unable to drive at night.

We're not all old. I'm in my lower 30s, and most of our staff is in their 40s, with the exception of 1 or 2 who older gentlemen who really know their game. The incompetent ones and hangers-on were weeded out a long time ago. But you need a good DC to handle that properly.

It has been interesting going back and reading many of the entries in this old thread. It seems that many more units have been unimpressed with their level of commissioner service than have been impressed. That's a shame! I know that over the years, I have seen good commissioners and "name only", MIA or invisible commissioners. Most councils offer a commissioner college / university program for training as well as Fast Start for Commissioners training being available online. A well trained, reachable Unit Commissioner can be a much better source of information, directly related to your unit, than any forum can provide.

As with most District programs, their effectiveness begins at the top - a good Key Three (4,5 or 6, depending on your district) will push for an effective commissioner service program. A good District Commissioner with effective ADC's will select, train and drive a team of UC's to deliver an effective commissioner service program to the units in their district. Is it easy? No. Will everything go smoothly? No. Will everyone do the job that they have volunteered (been recruited) to do? Probably not! Will some UC's have to be replaced? Probably! Is an effective commissioner service program worthwhile? Definitely!

Having served as a UC, ADC and District Commissioner (as well as a District Chairman) in the past, I know that there are many good UC's out there doing their jobs, serving their units and districts well. Let's hear it for these guys! If you have one of the good guys, thank him the next time you see him or her - better yet, pick up the phone or email them now, letting them know that you appreciate their service and friendship!!

• 3 months later...

I love being a Commissioner. I've been one for about a year. I was out of Scouting for about 10 years and was recruited by a customer at my grocery store. He was looking for an item we had on sale and we started talking about Scouting. Over the course of a couple months we got to know each other and he asked me if I wanted to become a Unit Commissioner. I had been a former ASM and SM and I said yes I would like to try it out. Well I just want to say I love being a Unit Commissioner.I jumped right in and took Commissioner Basic and just went to our Councils Commissioner College. As for troop relations I'm working to be a friend of Scouting and have not experienced the issues that most folks have posted. I often ask where I can help out and often volunteer for the dirtiest jobs. I'm well received with my troops and I have a great time. Unfortunately we have a severe shortage of Commissioners. If you look at the National Website figures we are only about half staffed that means over half our troops nation wide are without the help and support of Commissioners.We have a strong District Commissioner that is big on training each month at our Commissioner meeting we have a different training topic that helps us to assist our troops. And we put on fun well planned Round Tables each month where the troop leaders look forward to coming to.I guess my job is made a lot easier because we have a really strong DE and DC along with a great RTC. What helps me out a lot is my ADC that recruited me. Were always in touch and we make a lot of rounds together. We just finished up helping teach a cooking class at our Councils Pow Wow and were well received by all. What is sad is most of the Cub Scout leaders haven't met or even knew that a Commissioner position even existed in Scouting.I believe that day at the Pow Wow help to get the word out about our job as Commissioners and a chance for us to been seen as a friend of Scouting.

Well i'm mad at my UC 'cause he's moving to SC ;) My UC is one of the most dedicated and motivated folks I've ever met. See him at least once a month, if not more, attends teh special events, i.e. CSFC, cubmobile, etc, and has a world of advice when needed.

Like I said he's moving to SC in the very near future :( Our lost will be someone's gain as he is addicted to Scouting like I am.